1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Took my car to the track... need traction help.

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by mustang-junky, Aug 28, 2011.

1. mustang-junky

'90 mustang, the one in my sig. I did not try the trans brake.

Rear suspension consists of; ladder bars, 9", 3.50 gears, single adjustable Qa-1 shocks, 130# springs, 390/45 r15s on 15x12" rims, wishbone track locator. I would have to check my notes on where the pinion angle was at.

Front suspension; strange 10 way adjustable struts, stock GT springs, Qa-1 k-member, caster camber plates, skinny radials on 15x4" rims.

I went to the track on saturday and had some serious traction issues. To start off the car was swaying from side to side after about half track, so much so I got out of the gas and coasted to a 12.35 @ 69 mph. I had the rear shocks at two clicks from full soft(tire pressure at 27#s) so I turned them up to seven clicks from full soft and raised the tire pressure to 30#s. This helped the swaying, but as you can imagine the traction was poor. I did a couple more runs but quit at half track because of tire spin, then my distributor fried itself and my day was done.

So, now I am looking for suggestions. I know I need to do a better burn out. I had been driving around the water box because of track rules for street tires. I was pushing through the line lock while doing a dry burn out. My last run I drove through the water and got a good burnout, this run the car broke, I was too pissed to get the time slip, I should have, even just to see the 60 foot time.

Anyway, do ladder bars "need" an anti sway bar? To get the most of my drag radials I should have them aired down to about 20#s, right? With the way the car handled I did not feel comfortable airing them down. Could the wishbone track locator be causing my problem? I could run a panhard bar now, I used the wishbone for exhaust clearance before, that is not necessary now.

Any other suggestion?

Jess

2. gotageta5oh

What brand of tires?

I have found that Hoosiers like more air pressure than my old MT's. I try to drive around most of the water if not all of it and back into it until the tires are wet.

Every ladder bar car I have ever driven has had an anti roll bar in it. Not saying it is absolutly necessary... but it sure seems to be the norm.

3. mustang-junky

The tires are from M&H. I will add a anti roll bar then. I had one on there before when the car had an 8.8. Should not be much trouble to reinstall. Thanks for the reply.

Jess