1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Too many power adder options... Procharger or turbo.

Discussion in 'Carburetor + Boost Tech Questions' started by Jake, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Jake

Just for shits and grins I'm gonna start this thread. For the record we have a 67 Camaro with a brand new reverse F-2. That 'was' a good idea for the original motor. Well now its gonna get a brand new engine with all the best parts so durability shouldnt be an issue. Still up in the air on building a 4" stroke 522 or a 4.25" stroke 540.The car will certify down to 6.00 so that wont be a problem either.
    Now we start thinking...will the max horse they rate the blower at of 1600HP be enough to have fun? :ras: Start thinking, hmmm.... maybe a F-3A or F-3R would be the way to go. Then think twin turbo's, then think one big single. WTF! Have we lost our mind? (dont answer :D) Should we just do the F-2 till that isnt fun anymore or sell it while its in the box and upgrade/change. We do feel a certain loyalty to Procharger since they are a local company and are personal friends with alot of the guys there. Kinda like the blower upgrade idea if the fuel(VP) will allow us to not run an intercooler, also have no intentions of running alcohol either. Just thinking out load here. Bash away. :D
    Did I mention we'd like to run this thing in Drag Week? :2thumbs:

2. onefastermonte85

if your just begining, go with a nice procharger ,, if ur REAALLY experienced and know what the fawk ur doing go turbo.

3. Jake

LOL, If we ''REAALLY'' knew what we were doing we'd quit building a race car and go join a bowling league! Probably cheaper. :D
    Neither will be a problem at all. ;)

4. onefastermonte85

... ultimate power would be a turbo, turning the belt for the blower u lose some, but over all lag i wouldn't say is an issue, vs's turbo, but that all depends on ur setup, some guys can make turbos go without hardly any, Tons of knowledge, I myself like the looks of a super charger when u open the hood, you really dont see piping and headers, exhaust and what not all over, you just see abig blower a few lil pipes and can see the motor and work on the motor easily, For someone who likes to race but also likes to drive her to shows and have fun a centrif is a easy fun way to do it, Turbo cars, will be something i'll do in a few yrs. To many balls working on those things, always hear tunning issues here andthere, and blabla bla with em,

5. PuRpS

if i had my time over again i would turbo

my vote is twin pt 88s or somthing around there

ps you could always pus NAWZ on it :bang:

6. jim wingo

if i was younger, i would build a twin turbo s/b, a/w i/c, or if i didnt have a bad shoulder from hittin the wall @ mir i would join your bowling league, but i still know how to keep score-lol
    i like the belt for my street toy, but i think turbo's will take over, esp. if more "kits" become avail. fabrication is whats prob. keeping some people away from them now, there are cast iron kits for s/b's, not a max. power effort, but an option, seems some thoughts about wether the cast iron holds up, even with high nickel formula
    the advent of dev. a blow thru carb that works pushed all this stuff to the front, so things keep changing-i remember when i was one of the few running a roots s/c, they still look killer at a cruise, but people walk by them to look at a neat blow thru setup

7. sprayit67

all i can say is damm.. :bah:

iva always said if i did not have my friend greg from sticker dude designs i would have gone turbo :eek:. for me it was the cost.i was able to purchace the whole bolt on f2 set up complete for a fraction of the cost of going turbo :2thumbs:. but in our defense!!!iva also seen guys haul n ass with the f2-f3 ..no doubt in my mind you will find the hp you need from the supercharger.and yes with the vp c16 yo have your ass covered. :D

8. Jake

LOL, We had 2 kits on it before but never even used them. :D

9. basketcase

Jake,
    I have no doubts that you could fab a bad ass turbo kit.

What's fun? Pooch is in the 8's with a BBC and an F2, Tim will probably go 7's this year with his F2.

It's a toss up, you guys are local to procharger, and like ya said, loyalty type deal, but I'd be curious what you could do with your skills and a thumper series turbo.

Either way, take lots of pics!!

10. BlownShovel

My vote is for the Pcharger combo for ease but you wouldn't have a problem with either. And you have proven that you can bring the BLING factor going either route.

So what night is the bowling league?

Walt

11. butchvoss

Heck i have not got my F2 to the track yet and i am already thinking of a turbo. I wish i would have studied up a lot more before i jumped into the belt deal. There is always next year and the lottery is twice a week . :2thumbs:
    Butch

12. okibono

I guess what you have to ask yourself is:
    If money was no object, and labor wasn't an issue, what do you want to see when you pop the hood? And what do you want to tell people when they say "Your car hauls butt!"
    For me, it was turbo all the way. And I believe, as a few others, that turbos are the future of Drag Racing...

JMO... :D

13. Jake

Just been thinking maybe the F-3A or F-3R may be the betterway to go than the F-2. We figure the F-2 makes enough steam to put us in the 7.70-7.90 range. Not really building it for any certain class but the thing is setup for 33x10.5W's and I cant talk my buddy into going smaller and I really dont know if we could make enough steam to even qualify for a W event. So I guess all we're doing is trying to decide which foot to shot ourselves in. :ras: Maybe I shouldnt even be thinking outloud, I dont know. :-X :D Sometimes you've got just to hear "your a dumbass" from your pears to convince yourself that you've lost your mind.

14. basketcase

Jake, not sure when you're going to do this, but I know of a 530" BBC that is getting a F3R here shortly. Maybe once it is together that'll help make up your mind?

15. Jake

Might be good timing Barry. We really need to start looking around and see what's going on with others stuff to compare to. Hope to have it all done by late Summer. Probably got till early Summer to figure it all out so we can get the engine built and everything fitted and finished. As you know I've got a long ways to go on the chassis yet. :bang: :D Probablky just need to stick with the F-2 for now. I think we may just have a case of the "motivational blues". But this wouldnt be the first time we took 10 steps back to accomplish one giant leap ahead. Kinda like the sawzalling the new 25.5 for the 25.2 upgrade. :bang: :D

16. abad70ss

f3 f3 f3 f3 the only way to fly

17. flamed 418

There's no doubt that when comparing a blower to an evenly matched turbo, the tubo will arguably make more power. That being said, I'm a supercharger guy. Just something about the look and the sound of a blower that I love. What really would be neat is a F-2/F-3 comparison. We always see and hear about how much steam a F-2 makes. It would be intersting to get a F-2 to make max power, and then bolt on a F-3R to see how bad it really is. If it's a max power effort though, my vote would be for the F-3. :D

18. HeatleyRacing

EIther will make enough power to get you where you want to in my mind. How bad you want your 1500 HP to be QUIET and how much $$$$ you are willing to spend for it to be quiet is the question.. I was going to put a 106MM turbo on my car this winter and procharger came through with a 134MM F-3 for me so Ill be running BLOWN again this year... Turbos do make the extra power that the belt eats up, and they are definitely QUIET for the HP ranges. Someday I may still put one on the car. But the F3 is gonna make all the power I can put down on a 295 radial anyway and it was alot less $$$ than all the changes I would have needed to make.

19. Jake

Thanks guys! I personnaly like the idea of running the F-2 and then trying the F-3A or R too. Be neat to see what the gains would be and such with the swap. I guess being cooped up in the house too much is getting to our heads! :D

20. HeatleyRacing

Jake, ON my INJ 477 ci NON INTERCOOLED with 8:1 compression I made 746 rear wheel with an F1R. with EXTREMELY HIGH intake temps. 300* range. w/17 lbs of boost... I bolted on an F2 and made 906 Rear wheel with 20 lbs but still battled the high TEMPS.. We installed a Precision TURBO PT 3000 ( looks almost identical to pauls new one).. and the F2 made 1164 rear wheel with 26 lbs of boost. My intake temps dropped to 72*. All engines and combos are different but I thought I would share with you the gains I saw in my progress last year to give you an idea. My camshaft is not optimal and my compression is obviously EXTREMELY low for big HP #s. But the cars getting it done @ 3671 lbs with full interior ,stock console, windshield wipers etc.. It was running 5.40s in the 1/8 with a hurt blower on it. My internals will take another 10 lbs of boost if need be and the new F3 will push it as hard as I care to..