1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Tom, are you responsible for this?

Discussion in 'Ecoboost, Ecotec, Direct Injection and Other OEM Technologies' started by TTAWD, May 30, 2011.

1. TTAWD

2. Boost Engineer

Maybe 8)

Lot of people involved in the Ecoboost program over the last 6 years.

I did the initial research, packaging, and feasibility studies on the program with a designer 6 years ago.
    Three guys: Kevin P., Keith P,, and Robert W. followed the program when it was approved for production, several years later.

I work out of Ford Research and consulted on several parts of the program. My title for whatever it is
    worth is: Senior Engineer, Ecoboost Programs, North America

To date Ford Engineering has released Ecoboost programs for the Front Wheel Drive (Lincoln MKS and MKT), Ford Taurus, Ford Flex, and the Police Cruiser and Interceptor.

Ford Engineering also released the Ecoboost system on the F-150 Truck (RWD) (as you know from your post).

There will be more Ecoboost programs.

I first worked on Boosted Engines in 1974. I am still working on boosted engines in Research at Ford as well as moderating on this board and helping racers when I can.

Hope that helps. Nope, I was only a small part of the process.

Tom Vaught

3. TTAWD

I'm not A "Ford" guy I do the chebby thing "as you as you like to refer to them on here".

But you can give the team at work a big thumbs up from Chebby guy, I'm impressed!!!!! :2thumbs:

Did you and the guys find the 365 hp and 420 lbsft easy to achieve from 3.5 liters?

That is a little more that 100hp per liter.

Are you guys and the guys at Mercury hanging out on the weekends? 8)

If you boss walked in and told the team that the performance goals would have to be met but without this feature on the motor,_____________ (you fill in the blank)
    witch one one would make the goals most difficult to do without. i.e. variable cam timing. 4 valve per cyl, piston oilers, direct injection, bore to stroke ratio and keeping it 3.5 liters, cooling system routing?

4. Boost Engineer

We had most of the stuff already. I had one of the first DISI engines in North America to play with.

Just like I said in my other post about the people involved in Ecoboost, too hard to pick just one thing when they all worked well together.

My family owned GM dealerships for 69 years, We had all of them except for Chevrolet. Maybe the Chebby deal comes from never owning one of their stores and GM keeping Chebby vs Pontiac.

Hope that info helped you.

Post up on the board any questions you have.

I started posting more of the Dr Moss' lectures on Boosting after a long break of not doing them.

Tom Vaught

5. TTAWD

It would be nice to see a Ecoboost mustang. I think Ford brass wouldn't won't the 5.0 Coyote to take a backseat to a V6.

6. Boost Engineer

There probably is some truth in that deal. Many years ago when Ford had the 300 cid inline 6 cylinder engine
    I "suggested" that the 4.9L engine with the right boosting device could clean the 5.0L and 5.8L engines butts and we should drop those engines and have the 4.9L boosted engine.

You can imagine the whining after that statement.

But Ford DID build a F-150 TWIN TURBO 300 cid inline 6 cylinder engine with dual inter-coolers and a prototype cross-flow head. The 6 cylinder engine kicked their butts.

But those boys had more HP in the Committee Rooms and the project was cancelled.

Tom Vaught

7. PrecisionTurboMustang

Tom,

Were you responsible for any of the mazdaspeed setups? I noticed the block in my speed 3 has "fomoco" cast into the side of it. Mine runs great with a good maf housing/open element filter & 3" catless down pipe. I would love to learn more about the stock pistons & rods.

8. Boost Engineer

Responsible???? Nah! Probably Not. ;)

I have a Mazda Speed Engine on a dyno running as I type this with boost on it but that is just to pump water for my Horses (Mustangs). The Horses can run 8.40s whenever they want to. :2thumbs:

Tom Vaught

9. MCA

What an impressive piece Tom, a really well thought out engine; it is interesting that, in those videos, it actually sounds a little "V8ish" or is it just me?

Do you happen to know how well does this V6 engine responds to "tunes"? slight increases in boost and timing and messing around with the Ti-VCT, etc.

How much power can this 3.5 handle, weak points?

I would really like to see an Ecoboosted Mustang (SVO) with the V6 or even better a direct injected TT 5.0. :2thumbs:

10. Boost Engineer

With the gas being over $4.00 per gallon here in Michigan, I don't think that you will see a 5.0L TT DI engine anytime soon. If we ever did release one of those deals I would give you credit for the first guy in the Advanced Forum to suggest the idea ;)

Tom Vaught

11. Bad Medicine Racing

A man local to me by the name of Gary Isbell used to run a 300 Ford I6 in a Maverick in the 70s. He cut up Cleveland heads (not hear say, he told me that himself) and made his own crossflow head. IIRC, he said the car ran 6.4X in the 1/8 and deep in the 10s in the 1/4, with a N/A I6. He ran a 4 speed from a Hemi car adapted to the Ford. The car was a world record holder in its class back in the day.

12. 302f150

So Tom, did you work on the dual compressor turbo diesels that exhaust where the intake typically is? When I heard of that I thought it was freakin' brilliant, people are always trying to get the turbo closer to the combustion process and with a V engine it was difficult because of the exhaust location. So Ford changed the exhaust location lol.

Overall great work coming out of the factory.

13. Boost Engineer

The Ford Indy Car had the Intake & Exhaust ports swapped in that head. Exhaust ports in the valley in the in the center of the engine and the intake ports where the exhaust ports would normally be.

Not a new idea though. Jay Leno's "Tank Car" has a WW-II "TANK Engine and it is set up the same way.

Tom Vaught

14. dug

Tom,

what schooling did you go through in order to get a job at Ford doing what you do?

15. slow67

Another example.....[​IMG]#ad

16. PrecisionTurboMustang

Amaizing, is that a. Crank driven supercharger?

17. wantabe

yep,
    thats how all the blowers where done way back

18. slow67

X2.....It is called a Potvin drive.

19. 10secgoal

And hoe the big boys do it now

20. wantabe

i dont see any of the 'real' nosteglia stuff around now days.
    do they still have these cars over there?

bridal-shoal