1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

timing ?

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by LITTLETWIN, Jan 4, 2013.

1. LITTLETWIN

Have 5.0 stock block blow threw carb built by brent davis . Had the plugs gaped at 20 but I tjink it doest like it . Pulled plugs and were black on the tips. I am running ngk r5671a-9 plug. The car is set up for 15- 18 psi of boost. Afr is 12.5 to 13.2 at idle. Really can't get on the car cause its to busy where I live but the car feels as if there is a flat spot . Meaning when I stall it up at around 3200rpm it stubles for like a second and then its fine dont get it. I was told to gap the plugs to 32 . Timing is lockef at 26. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. TDmkr496

Pump gas or E85

3. LITTLETWIN

Sorry , yes pump gas 93 pump piss. Lol.

4. smokin03cobra

Take a few degrees out , start @ 22 for pump , does it stumble when your getting on the gas ? Maybe bigger squirter will help

- - - Updated - - -

And close that gap little

5. LITTLETWIN

Yes it stumbles when free reving it sometimes ,not all the time but it does stumble . So you saying bring the timing down some and close the gap on the plug to 22 ?

6. smokin03cobra

The gap is only going to effect in boost spark, shouldn't effect free reving but close the gap to atleast 26-28

7. LITTLETWIN

Kk going to check timing , I'm sure its high just don't remember how high the timing was .smh . I just came in from the garage and gaped all plugs to 26 . Couldn't turn the car on cause my 14 month old boy is sleeping . Ill check the timing tomorrow and will lock it out to 22 . Thanks

8. LITTLETWIN

Thanks carmine for your imput . Ill keep you posted .

9. blown385

Sounds like a pump shot issue to me .

10. LITTLETWIN

Pump shot issue ? Sorry but do you mean accelorator pump ? I still haven't got around to take the car for a ride to see if changing the gap on the plugs and timing did the trick but I'm open to all possible problem shooting. Thanks mike

11. blown385

Yes , thats what I mean . :smiley:

12. PEARL MUSSIN

My plugs are gapped @ 20 and timming is locked @ 23. Flat spots can be a pita to cure. I tried all kinds of shit to fix mine, everything from 50cc pumps, every size squirter out there to all colors of cams. I think the locked out timing has something to do with it. The one thing ive yet to try is the 1:1 secondary arm. Ive just learned to drive through it... I can accelorate so you can not even feel it, but I know its there.

Jeremy

13. turbo toad

Just a thought the rear throttle blades may need to be opened up alittle bit the only problem with making the adjustment is you'll have to retune the idle circuit
    Just my 2 cents

14. LITTLETWIN

Update after pulling the plugs out and regapping them to 26 and fixing my wires it seems to have cleared up the lil flat spot but now after taking the car out for a spin it stumbles when driving normal and even when getting on the car it feels like shit and then goes normal and back to shit . I have the carb pump set very high so it wont come on , it feels as if starving for fuel but I have a full tank of 93 pump gas in the tank. I haven't done anything to the timing since my first post on here . Do you guys think it could be a timing issue ? . Going to check the timing i think it was set at 22 but ill have to check and change it if its high and lock it out at 22 degree's . It feels like the firing order is off or a spark plug wire is crossed but that all in good order. Smh . Any input is appreciated ty

15. LITTLETWIN

Ok plugs gaped at 26 and timing set to 22 , changed out my damper and put in a new one that I had laying around thinking the old damper might be the cause because I thought I wasn't getting inproper timing reading . So long story short after chasing my tail I pulled the distributor because as I'm trying to time the car I see the timing light flicker and jump . As I move the distributor the light is jumping all around the damper. I kept on hearing an ark jumping as if the coil wire was off but when I opened the dist I found that the pick up was rusty all around , s o I pulled it out and put in a new one gaped it to 20 as per the instruction and no more breaking up. Was going to drive it but it was ranning outside, ill keep you guys posted on my drive this coming weekend when I have time off from work.

16. jaredsamurai

17. LITTLETWIN

Tooj the stang out for a ride and its dead on balls out , cruising around I set the crutch to 3800 rpm and 3600 to shut down , well I got pulled over after my ride but it was in my driveway lol. Took the car on a service road and leaned into it at cruise I see the af at 13:5 and on the wood its 11:5 car feels sick. So I blew by a undercover car and a blue and white parked on a side street talking to one another , yikes lol I pulled into my driveway and soon after the boyz came up my driveway and said do you know how fast were you going I said I had my eye's closed and held on for dear life lol. Anyway I showed them my work I.d and they didn't do anything but they said as I passed them they looked up at the sky because they thought a plane was coming down lol. My car is laud 3 inch from the turbo to the rear but I had my dump open so much lauder. Lol well that's my story now just have to work on my powersteering issue and I'm good to go.

18. jaredsamurai

awesome. Pics of said car?

19. LITTLETWIN

[​IMG]#ad

- - - Updated - - -

[​IMG]#ad

20. LITTLETWIN

This is my ride had it 19 years second owner , these were taken last week before I finished it .