1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Down pipe

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by vht, Sep 16, 2021.

1. vht

Would there be much HP loss going from a 5 in down to a 4in? It seems you can find 4 in bends and flanges a lot easier.

2. B E N

Not unless you are making some absurd power. Spool might be better with a 5. I went from a 3 to a 5 and that was the big difference I noticed. An 88mm exducer (the common s475/s480) wants 4.33" pipe, according to the 1.25x exducer size rule of thumb. Unless you are max effort I wouldn't worry about it. 5" is a fitment nightmare too!

Try semi shops for anything 4"+. My local wrecking yard has a couple complete semi's I could pull the exhaust off of if I do another big single build.