1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

timing and AFR's

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by jim wingo, Nov 27, 2011.

1. jim wingo

right now im running 30 degs total advance, AFR's are in the 10.9 or lower range, fuel ring in the plug looks pretty dark (black), strap on the plug looked ok, but was hard to see the timing mark
    im running about 9 lbs w/o the filter, 9.2 comp, 110 fuel(BB chevy) no intercooler
    i am gonna pull some jet, but wonder if i can bump the timing up a couple degrees, or better just working on the jetting-gonna try and get a better reading on the strap (Autolite 3923's)

2. Greg O

Personally I'd leave the jets alone and put a little more timing in it if the strap looked ok. I run 9.3:1 and 8 PSI so pretty similar setups. In the heat of August I back timing down to 28 or 30 but in the good weather I go with 32. I run pump gace 93 plus water/meth windshield fluid.

More timing will lean it out so keep that in mind. I run high 10's low 11's AFR too. Nobody ever burned one up by beeing a little too fat...

3. tbird

This where people start going wrong on tunes all the time. Rich and adding timing is a not good. You will start to pickup some power but at the same timing you start going more towards the dangerous side of the tune. Being overly rich can create detonation alone.

I would bring the timing back down to about 28 and then lean it down until you have a slight rich fuel ring on the bottom of the porcelin. Then start focusing on reading the timing on the plug. Bump it up until your at the bend on the ground strap. Each timing you pull the plug look for detonation. This is for street tuning. You really shouldnt need to be any richer than 11.5 AFR. But look at the plug for your guide to what the motor wants.

4. jim wingo

i cut one of the plugs open, it had about 3/16-1/4 mark on the porc., but it was real black-the other carb had it more brown, but at the time i was getting false AFR readings, instead of trusting the plug, i was believing the LM-1, so i had Kevin build a new carb (no matter what i did tuning wise, the LM-1 read dead lean)
    anyway, now i start all over with a new carb-i was using a 50-50 mix, 93/110 to be safe
    i use Autolite 3923's-strange, same # but plugs look diff, so i had to go thru a batch to get all the same ones
    i guess they switched manfs. or something
    with winter set in, no more open tracks, so may do a dyno for testing-might have Steve Morris spec a hyd roller,
    but might see what this baby flat tappet cam produces-got all winter to decide while i work on another project

5. Greg O

Never heard that one before....not saying it isn't true but I have sure never heard anyone say too rich can cause detonation. Are you talking 9:1 rich or 11? When I first put my combo together and still learning I ran 30* timing on a 90 degree day with no meth and 9.9:1. No detonation then and I was running a 7 heat range NGK to boot. Not saying I was doing the right thing...more that I got lucky and got away with it.

6. bigblockragtop

Hey Greg is your motor a 406 small or big block. I am no mechanic but the big blocks do like more timing then small , is that right? I was also told 11.5 afr is perfect I too have the water methanol. Mine is 496 bb