1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Time to adjust my combo... looking for advice.

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by coppergood, Aug 15, 2009.

1. coppergood

I have a DSS 331 that was origanally built to be naturally aspirated. It has a trickflow stage 2 cam that has duration of 224 int./232 exh @ 050 in lift, 112 lobe separation, and factory rocker arm lift of .542 intake and .563 exhaust. I have forged flat top pistons under "out of the box" victor jr heads with a 60cc comb. chamber... producing a comp. ratio of 10.4 to 1!! I am running an s-trim thru a CSU 850 carb. and thru an edlebrock dual plane rpm airgap intake manifold. have msd 6 al with msd boost retard.. have glenns sleeper tank with full aeromotive fuel pump/ reg. My problem: everything was working fine when I had my rev limiter set at 6k and was making about 8 psi boost on 93 octane... I got greedy... moved the rev limiter up to 6500 that produced 11-12 lbs. boost... big difference in power!! but.. evidently had some detonation and spun a bearing or something... bottem end is knocking... am thinking this would be a good time to lower the compression and raise the boost. My questions: should I go with 8.5 to 1 or 9.4 to1???? And, any ideas for an "out of the box" blower cam that would work with my combo? would like to make 700 to 750 horse power if possible... but would rather not mix gas... maybe this is impossible for 93 octane...

2. coppergood

Oh one more thing... do not have an intercooler or meth/water injection..... do I need to do one of those??? if so.. which one?

3. chiaj144

Stock block????????

4. coppergood

D.S.S. Level 10 CNC Production 302 Hyd Roller Block

D.S.S. Billet Aluminum Main Support System

ARP 7/16 Main Studs 302

D.S.S. Extreme X Forged CNC Flycut Pistons

D.S.S. 4340 H beam Forged Connecting Rods

D.S.S. Forged large Fillet Stroker Crankshaft

Severe Duty Ductile Iron Moly Rings with SS - 50U oil ring

ARP Rod Bolts 7/16 Cap Screw

Fully Race Balanced & CNC Blueprint Verified & Assembled

5. testchimp

I would run lower compression and more boost, it will make more power. I don't think the cam is very critical, i made enough power with stock ported heads and stock grand marquis shortblock to crack the mains with 14psi turbocharged, and so have many others. If you want more than 500hp i would start from an aftermarker block, you will crack the stocker fairly easy unless you are very lucky. I just went down this road and switched to a 2.3 because i cannot justify buying a race block.

6. Briansshop

Not possible w/a stock 302 block. There's been a few rare cases of guys at or around 600 or so. Could do it with a stock 351 block or step up to an aftermarket 302.

7. coppergood

DSS advertises my shortblock combo as good for up to 700+HP ... of course if I split it... I will just have to upgrade it at that point... :) It is not my daily driver.. is my toy. But would you guys go 9.4 or 8.5 on the compression? and then... how much boost could I run without an intercooler?? all on 93 octane? After reading brents site also thinking about changing my intake manifold to weiand 7515...

8. testchimp

I ran my stock grand marquis shortblock with 157,000 miles with 14-16psi non intercooled on pump gas for two seasons. That engine was approx 9.1 compression. I would run lower compression and then you can always add more boost, if you run high compression you are very limited at that point and the 20hp you gained is very small compared to the 80-100hp you could have gained with more boost.

9. coppergood

Anybody else have any ideas?? re: changing the intake manifold, cam, or adding an intercooler... or opting for 8.5 or 9.4 comp ratio? have to make some decisions fast... it is at my eng. builders shop.

10. Briansshop

I'd go like testchimp said and run the lower CR. Then you have more control over the actual cylinder press. I love the idea of pushing a stockblock so crank it up! :chacha:

11. allmotor65stang

dss blocks suck there all stock level 10-20 :ahah:..your looking around 550 MAXXXX! if that..

your block is STOCK just with a main support..thats it..i

i pused my stock block to 520+hp its still going strong for 500 hp+..700-750 never will happen..

12. coppergood

Well damn... I guess I will be buying a new block soon... :doh:

13. Millhouse

If you truly want to push that amount of power'¦rebuild that sucker and sell it ASAP while it's still worth some coin. Pushing the limits of the stock block is all fine and dandy when you are running cheap JY short blocks'¦but when you actually have something worth some cash you're better off salvaging as much as you can while it's still worth something. Once the block splits (and it will split), there is no telling what damage it's going to do. The block will obviously be completely junk, but the crank could possibly let loose and take out the entire rotating assembly as well. What's 600lbs of scrap steel with a lil bit of aluminum thrown in worth now days?

14. Bellman Jeff

I can't believe DSS says that block is good for 700+ hp .. Maybe if you keep it under 5000 rpms..

15. coppergood

This is cut and pasted from their website...

D.S.S. Super Pro Bullet engines are capable of making well over 700 horsepower with nitrous or boost, Depending on the severity of your application. however we recommend that you limit total horsepower to around 600 (Mid to low 10's @ 3200 lbs). , For best results and longevity in severe duty applications you should be looking at our X or XR series engines

D.S.S. Super Pro Bullet engines are designed with the serious street/strip road race or circle track racer in mind. Offering the perfect balance between race winning power and long term reliability for a high horsepower application, common with today's superchargers, nitrous kits, turbos and high revving cams. D.S.S. super pro stroker combinations, are a great way to get Windsor power and torque without the expense of a 351 swap or the maintenance problems commonly associated with other stroker combinations. Every D.S.S. Super Pro Bullet engine begins with a with a D.S.S. Level 10 CNC race prepped block that has been deck squared and equalized, precision bored and honed with torque plates and fitted with the D.S.S. billet aluminum Main Support System and custom ARP main studs. Then fitted with light weight strong D.S.S. Extreme X Forged pistons (Free upgrade ) , ultra strong forged 4340 H-beam rods with ARP rod bolts, and D.S.S. Forged crankshaft.

16. coppergood

Ok... so let's say I just keep my HP to high 500's... how much compression and boost do I need to run to achieve that number?? Am still looking for intake and cam suggestions too. Was thinking about the f-303.... but doesn't look that much different from what I am running now (see first post in this thread).

17. Millhouse

Just some food for thought for ya'¦but that 'safe' 600hp figure they are claiming is at the engine. When you factor in drivetrain losses, this 'safe' figure drops down to ~ 500rwhp'¦which by no coincidence is right where most will tell you is 'pushing' the limits. Again, If you plan on pushing 'high' 500's'¦I'd look to sell the shortblock while it's still worth something and upgrade to a better block. That's not to say you have to go with a dart block'¦.as a late model 351 is near roller ready and can handle 750rwhp.

If you still don't care, all it really would take is a standard CR of 9:1 and 8-10lbs of boost with that setup.

18. Briansshop

coppergood, FYI I ran a built/blueprinted stock block,rods, and crank combo that ran 10:30s at 3000 lbs. Puts it at around 550 HP. Had a solid roller cam, 11.5 to 1 and a 150 plate shot. 7500 rpm shifts and ran it for a few yrs,100s of passes and street miles.I did split one block with the same combo down the middle but that was my fault - F'd up with the nitrous. The turbo stuff is new to me but I'm hopping to make that much and a little more with boost. Keeping the shifts at 5800 hopefully will help it live.

19. coppergood

Thanks brianshop, I think I will just lower my expectations a little... I will build it back with leaving my 10.5 to 1 pistons in... lower the rev limiter back down to 6000 and just keep running it... was working well until I raised the rev limiter... maybe I will build an iron eagle based, dedicated track car in a few years... :) with low compression and high octane and boost :) the car I have now is a street car with a tko 600... is pretty nasty already... :) was just looking to improve since I broke it.... guess I will just rebuild it the way it was.

20. coppergood

Update... just got off the ph. wi the guys at doug herbert... ordered an iron eagle block... :D Now if I can just hide it from my wife... My new question is... now that my block is bullet proof... how much PSI can I put on 9.35 to 1 comp., a csu carb, pump gas and no intercooler and no water injection?? And how much can I put on 110 octane race gas?