1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Tightest bend in 1 5/8" moly?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by 95silverstallion, Dec 6, 2007.

1. 95silverstallion

Tightest bend in 1 5/8" moly?

What would be the tightest bend you could put into a piece of 1 5/8" .083 moly tubing. It would be about 110* between the legs, how tight of a radius or diameter (whichever is the standard - Rad or Dia) coukld you put into the curved part without sacrificing strength or thickness from stretching the metal?

2. Jake

Re: Tightest bend in 1 5/8" moly?

I have a 6" radius die for my bender. It was the tightest radius offered for 1 5/8" from them.

3. PONTIAC SLEEPER

Depends on the Bender... I have 5.5 radius on my 55 chevy so we could get the hoop Up higher. Used a JD2 Bender... I am so cheap I actually copeid the JD2 bender when I was working at the WaterJet company... :2thumbs:
    Here are some picture of my 55 with the 55 radius... The first Picture is another 55 with the larger radius. I believe it is a Green Lee Bender that is similar to a mittlerbrothers type bender with a mittler brothers 6 or 6.5 die. The cages were built similar but mine actually fits tighter in the car Leaving more head room and hidding it better. :chacha:

Eddies 6 in radius 55 chevy.jpg #ad

My 55 With 5.5 Radius.jpg #ad

My 55 With 5.5 Radius 2.jpg #ad

My 55 With 5.5 Radius 3.jpg #ad

4. 95silverstallion

Heres what i'm doing to give you a idea. I'm in the process of mini tubbing my car and my rear down bars/c-pillar bars go from the top of thew main hoop to my rear frame rails. Where they are welded to the frame is probably gonna be in the way of the new tubs. So what I was thinking is to cut the bars a few inches above the pkg tray and fab a prostock hoop to attach to the one side of the main hoop then around to where i cut the down bars and back to the other side of the mainhoop Then bars from the PS hoop down to a new cross bar between the frame rails at the rear.

I'm just trying to decide if it will be easier to just cut the down bars out all together and start fresh from the main hoop back.

5. PONTIAC SLEEPER

I would have to see a picture of what you have, but your probally just going to wanna start fresh from the main hoop back. That way everything fits the way you want it to... some times cut and splice can take longer and not always give you the best reult.... :2thumbs: Just food for thought ...

6. Robert1320

Careful this will be in caps.

THIS IS A LIFESAVING DEVICE DON'T SKIMP!

Do it right....

:bang: :bang: :bang:

7. 95silverstallion

I'll probably start fresh from the main hoop back then. Its probably ALOT easier and cheaper.

Thanks,
    Brian