1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Tie rods hitting piping

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by saleen00_227, Jun 4, 2005.

1. saleen00_227

I just installed the HP performance twin turbo kit and i notice that the tie rods are hitting the pipes cause the car is lowered... Anyone with this kit have this problem? if so what should i do. I already installed the bumpsteer kit and it lowered it a small amount and i also raised the car a little but it still sits pretty close. what else can i do.....Please help

2. bags50lx

sounds like you need bigger hammer to clearence the radiator supports so you can raise the turbos up higher.

3. saleen00_227

can't do that. the pipe and turbo is as high as they go. the turboes are touching the headlight support while the pipes are touching the front swaybar mount. So thats out of the question. =/ Anything else you can think of?

4. bags50lx

did they send you sway bar brackets so you can move the sway bar?

5. saleen00_227

Nope. no sway bar relocations.

6. CWeil

Get a new kit? :D

Mine did the same thing. That was a big part of the reason I ditched it.

If you want to keep the car, don't care about bumpsteer or steering efforts, and don't want to change the turbo setup, then I think the easiest thing to do would be to get solid steering rack bushings with an eccentric drilled into it (ie, instead of the bolt hole being in the center, have it offset 1/4" to 3/8"). I'd recommend the later. This would give you more clearance as you could lower the steering rack from where it is now. Of course, in reality, this solution sucks because now you've got less ground clearance, poor Ackerman, and a hocky setup that's only a bandaid for a larger problem- the piping setup itself.

Of course, depending on where the piping is hitting (it's been almost 7 months since I messed with mine, so I don't remember exactly), lowering the steering rack itself may not help since it won't lower the tie rod at the steering knuckle. If it's hitting there, then there are more problems.

Maximum Motorsports has a sway bar relocation kit, but in this case it won't help at all as you don't have any alternate positions for the endlinks on the control arm like you do with MM's arms. So that won't help.

This is a big reason I ditched the kit- compromises had to be made, all of which were temporary fixes to a different problem, and they all were not the RIGHT way to do it. Just IMO.

It would be more helpful if you posted some pictures so there would be less guessing, though.

7. screaminr1

You have not really offered this guy any help. Telling him to ditch the kit is not an option I'm sure. I have the same kit and next weekend I start my install on a lowered car also and I will not be ditching the kit...So I am also anxious to hear if anyone has any resolutions. What I don't want to hear and I'm sure he doesn't either, is "if you do this but this won't work and if you had this but you don't, then maybe you should just ditch the kit...that's what I did". Seriously, you can't really believe your helping the situation. You are just pouring gas on the fire. So thanks but no thanks, JUST IMO.:rolleyes:

8. CWeil

Saying "get a new kit" was a joke, don't take it too seriously.

I told him to really be able to solve the situation with any bit of seriousness, pictures would need to be posted. I posted what helped to solve that problem when I installed mine, but his could be hitting in a different spot, and the only way over the internet to be able to help would be to see it in pictures.

I didn't say he needed a new kit. I just said it was a reason why I got rid of mine- whether he wants to hear it or not, it's the truth. I didn't say it meant he needed to do the same.

9. screaminr1

Either which way, I agree pictures would be usefull.

I did talk to Tom and he said that neither him or Jimmy have heard of this happening. I know Jimmie and them never answer the phone but Tom always does. If you want his number let me know.

10. CWeil

Tom is just the distributor, he's not part of HP. If you want to talk to them, you need to call them directly. My kit had the same issue, so it definitely happens.

Their Fox kits I've personally seen had similiar types of issues.

11. jdk

I had the same problem with my kit when I had the coilovers too low. I adjusted them up to normal ride height and there is plenty of space after that.

recommendation == adjust them all the way up, and go from there.

12. saleen00_227

Ok well i really don't wanna go stock hight but i guess i will have to. heres the pics

13. saleen00_227

14. CWeil

If you want to keep the car lowered and don't plan on doing much open tracking on a road course, then you'd probably be ok lowering the steering rack like I said. That would give you much more clearance since it's near the closer to the rack than the spindle, so the relative clearance gained will be greater. You can get offset aluminum rack bushings from maximum motorsports. Not really the RIGHT thing to do, but neither is raising the car, as it's probably not really going to solve the problem (the piping will raise with the car, but so will the rack). Both options aren't great, but the only really "right" alternative to rebend the pipe. If you can get it to the point where you have 1/4" to 3/8" of clearance or so at maximum compressed travel, then you're probably ok, albeit tight.

Thanks for the pics!

15. screaminr1

You can can also get a little more clearance from the bump steer kit. I see you have one but your's is still at quite a bit of an upward angle. Remove some of the spacers from the top of the spindle bracket on the tie-rod end and put them under it. That will will lower the rack and pinion arm. It should be as straight as you can get it, that's kinda the hole point of the bump steer, so that it relieves tension on the outer seals....that and the sphearical bearings that allow greater movement. Mine is almost straight across and I have a lowered car too. I don't know how much difference it will make but I do also have the offset bushings for the rack and pinion. There about $14.

16. saleen00_227

HUmmm. im kinda confused on how to put the spacers. can you explain it differently? thanks

17. fast4d

I can't tell for certain due to the camera angle but that looks pretty extreme.

really bad bumpsteer is going to affect the car going down the street in a straight line. as the suspension travels up and down the camber is going to fluxuate.

does your car dart around on rough pavement and/or during braking?

18. saleen00_227

I havent been able to tune it. An appointment was made adn i have to wait for it. So the car just sits in the garage for now

19. WhiteLX

torch and a ball peen hammer. :(

20. saleen00_227

ya i was thinking of just pound the shit outta the piping till it gives enough clearance