1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Thumper Turbo placement?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by TwinTLuv, Mar 7, 2007.

1. TwinTLuv

hey guys im down to building my hotside and mounting the turbo...looking for opinions on where to mount it...its mostly a street car, i was gonna mount it behind the passenger headlight like everyone else, but i was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions....also any idea on how big of a downpipe you can run between the motor and firewall on the passenger side? this gt4294 i have has a 5" downpipe on it, i think im gonna neck it down to like 3.5 though...kinda hard to run a 5" downpipe through the engine bay :D

2. JoNasty

Im looking for ideas too.

3. ralphiejantz

with the big downpipe your best bet is to mount the turbo facing sideways and run the dowpipe split into 2 3.5" or 3" seperate pipes
    the biggest you can fit down the firewall in a fox body is 3.5" and its really tight, the issue is not so much down the firewall its getting it past the bell area around where the starter is in relation to where the k member mounts to the front sub frame
    for a large frame turbo mounted around engine height its best to mount it sidways not front to back
    for something thats down low its okay to mount it front to back becuase you just run the downpipe straight back through the control arm area of the car towards the rear of the car
    sorry if its sounds a little confusing