1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

throttle shafts leaking fuel

Discussion in 'Carburetor + Boost Tech Questions' started by 68mustang, May 9, 2010.

1. 68mustang

Ive done the hangar18 mods to my 650 Holley, and Im running 12psi thru it and today when I wiggled the throttle shafts several drips of gas came out. So, Im guessing I need to seal the throttle shafts, any tips or advise?

My plan is to remove the shafts, drill a hole from underside of baseplate into shaft bore, use a dremel on the underside to make a channel over to the edge of the basplate where I will epxoy a barb fitting. Then run a line from the carb hat to the barb fitting. Is this all I need to do?

2. 10secgoal

Sealing the throttle shafts is in reference to leaking under boost. If you are leaking with the hood up, check you float level.

3. 68mustang

forgot to mention the car was off, and was off for about 15 minutes when i was wiggling the shafts, and I think it is leaking under boost because there is a mist of fuel/grime all around the shafts.

Am I correct in believing it couldnt be the float level if the car is off? Still, if the float level was high why would it come out the throttle shafts? if the shafts dont seal when there is vacumn and/or the car is off, how in the world would they ever seal under boost?

4. kingtony

Check this thread: https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=132909.msg1314636#msg1314636

5. 68mustang

yea I found that one after posting, but it just seems like noone else worries about sealing them, dont know why mine are leaking so bad.

Also, when removing the throttle plate screws you have to grind or file the ends off, so can I reuse the screws with some lok tite or do I need to get new screws?

6. 10secgoal

Oh OK. I thought you meant it was leaking fluid when you wiggled it. What your describing is normal. I'd get new screws. If you had to keep them, center punch them again. I would rely on loc tite to hold in a gas environment like that. Although I have no idea if it would hold or not, my guess would be the gas wouldn't be helping.

7. 68mustang

Re: throttle shafts leaking fuel...updates and some craziness!

ok, so i went to work sealing the throttle shafts. while checking the throttle plates on assembly i noticed that the secondaries dont fully open on my carb. is that done for a reason? the primaries are wide open and the secondaries can go a little farther yet. so anyway, i did some welding/grinding on the bracket to get them to open farther but they still dont open completely.

so got the carb together tonight, goin 55, opened her up and almost lost control of it. :chacha: before i could spin them at 40mph, but now its pulling a LOT harder! i guess the throttle shafts were leaking more than i thought? idk, doesnt make sence really, I think im seeing about 1psi more, but its hard to tell when im trying to keep the shiney up! I guess its a combination of all things?

8. 10secgoal

Take the little piece of rod that connects the primaries to secondaries out and bend it. This shortens it and makes them open farther. Not done for a reason that I can think of. Most I check are like that and I have to fix them.

9. 68mustang

well maybe thats the reason more than sealing the throttle shafts, but wow, it made a difference. ill bend it to get them to open more and see how it runs then!!!

10. 68mustang

i bent the rod some more, but it got to the point that the secondaries were opening imediately and even still were not full open when the primaries are fully open. Why would it be like this? I dont really want the secondaries to open that soon do I? or is it fine for a street car to have them open on a 1:1 ratio

11. 10secgoal

That's weird. Never had it come into the 1:1 area. So right not the rod is right up against the secondary pull tab ? If you pull the secondaries open by them selves, can you open it 100% ?

12. 68mustang

with the throttle closed the rod is almost right up against the pull tab. and even now when the pri.aries are fully open i can open the secondaries even farther!

its like the secondaries need to open at a faster rate.