1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

BBK SSI Intake, fuel rails leaking, manifold sealing or any issues???

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by hpbob, Sep 22, 2008.

1. hpbob

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of buying a BBK SSI intake to use on my 88 hatch with AFR 185 heads, f cam, MPT70, intercooler, meth injection, 60lbrs, MS II, built c4 rev man valve body, trans brake, 3500 stall, alum drive shaft, 3.73 gears. This is a 1/8th mile drag car.

Anybody have any issues with the fuel rails leaking? I read online some guys were having issues on new BBK SSI manifolds with the fuel rails leaking at the rear of the manifold in the fuel rail rear crossover area. Seems the o rings may leak on the fuel rails there. Another guy complained about the manifold not having enough sealing area to his high port heads. That doesnt sound like an issue with AFR 185's.

Anybody use this manifold? How do you like it? Any fuel leaking issues?

On the surface this looks like a great manifold buy. High capacity fuel rails come with the manifold. Performance wise it out pulled a ported Cobra manifold throughout the entire RPM range of 3000 to 6500 with more torque and horsepower according to a MM & FF test article.

Any BBK SSI manifold owners (on a 302) please chime in!!! I want to hear positive comments too and to see if these complainers were just a couple of disgruntled customers who didnt read directions and install their manifold properly. I really like this manifold. Anybody have great results with it???

Regards, :cheers:

Hpbob

2. 1slowhatch

I had one up until a few months ago.

To be honest, I ended buying a professional products intake and selling the BBK. I never used it in a boosted application. My setup was just a stock shortblock 5.0 w/trickflow heads, tfs 1 cam, headers, bolt ons, etc. As far as performance is concerned, I don't think they make the power they're supposed too.

My 1st big problem with it was the fact that my fuel rail was missing a clearance for an o-ring for the fuel rail. So it sprayed fuel everywhere, I had to pull a new fuel pressure base out of a newer style manifold setup from Summit.

Next big problem was that it DOESN'T CLEAR A STOCK HOOD like they say it does....I still have the rusty big dent in my hood! :doh: Also I have to grind and clearance a bunch of the intake trying to make it clear. (made it ugly!)

Also, the upper to lower leaked a bunch, I tried retorquing bolts (which easily stripped out), but still never fixed it completely.

All in all, just buy a holley systemax or trickflow intake. I believe it's worth the extra money for something that is tried and true. Just my .02.

3. hpbob

Hi 1 slowhatch,

Good to hear back from you. You sound exactly like one of the disgruntled BBK SSI purchasers I Read about when I googled. Did those trick flow heads have high ports or anything unusual. I am using AFR 185's. Are you online as dissatisfied with this manifold when ya google too? Just curious.

Anybody out there had a good experience with the BBK SSI manifold on a fox body 302 turbo build???

This manifold had a good write up in MM&FF a couple of years ago and dyno'd with much better HP and torque numbers thru the whole RPM range than a hone ported cobra manifod. They did mention they used an extra or doubled set of o rings on the rear fuel rail crossover tube at each rail. It looks like a really good design and you get high flow fuel rails that just come with the manifold. Again on the surface it looks and sounds like a real bang for the buck performance bargain with included high flow fuel rails.

Anybody out there have any good experiences with this manifold??? Please chime in!

I am still looking for an excuse to use this manifold in my fox body 302 turbo build. Need to hear any positives on it too.

Hpbob :cheers:

4. 1slowhatch

twisted wedge, most common head ever. lol.

i don't really understand the high flow fuel real deal, the rest of the system is just the constriction beyond the fuel rails. Also, the factory lines flop and don't look very good when you upgrade to the bbk setup.

i dunno, i've just never seen a car run half way decent with a bbk manifold on it.

i also had a massive upper to lower manifold (vacuum) leak after stripping out a couple bolts (w/proper torque)

they do look cool though!