1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Thinking of throwing a HY35 on a 360 magnum

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by sebastian f7, Apr 5, 2015.

1. sebastian f7

Ok so I have a spare Hy35 from my Cummins laying around. I got a cheapo 97 Ram with a 360. Was thinking of throwing a turbo on it. Because TURBO. Why not I got em both.
    Wondering mostly about fueling. Can I get away with a piggyback controller like an aem?
    I'm looking to make this a VERY budget friendly build. I honestly don't care about making 500 hp,
    while that would be fun its not in the budget. I'm more thinking as close as I can to stock and throw a turbo on since I have it laying around. Even if it only nets me 40-50 ponies I'd be ok with that. I got a liter bike to go fast. I just wanna build my own turbo setup.
    Thinking of limiting it to 4-5 psi and not running an I/C also. Its not a daily driver just a spare rig that I'd like to have fun with.
    I know I can buy parts and keep it NA and make more power but I want boooosht.

2. M&M Turbochargers

if on a budget id look into a gt45 69mm comp 77/88turb they can be had for about 300.00

i think your hy35 will be to small

3. sebastian f7

I hear guys saying that but it can efficiently make 30+ lbs of boost on a 5.9 Cummins I would think 5psi on a gasser would be do-able. Although I'm obviously no expert.

4. M&M Turbochargers

something to consider is a 5.9l cummins spins 2500-3000rpm???? your 360 will spin about 5500rpm

2 of those hy35 turbos would be a better fit

5. sebastian f7

That's true. I may see about finding a second one.

6. Twin Turbo Skylark

Get a second one and use megasquirt to control the fuel and timing.

7. Pimp_Daddy_Patty

+ 1 for Megasquirt

The 97 360 is rated at 230hp. The holset turbo flows enough to make close to or above 400hp on gasoline powered engines. With a large enough wastegate, you might get a decent bump in low end power with a single HY35.

8. 91DakBuilder

Ii have to agree pick up an MS3 lots of info out there on the MSforums pertaining to getting it to work with the Magnum series engines. I have one for my 3.9 I'm playing with. Also have one for a gen3 he I build. It is a very well designed box for sure at 1/3 the price I paid for my fast setup.