1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

What transmission?

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by mopar_stroker, Feb 21, 2011.

1. mopar_stroker

I'm looking for a gearbox to my new engine. 496" twinturbo BB mopar. Indy 440-1 heads, keithblack block... etc.. Sold my old 727 transmission, and now need a new one... Something that will hold up for 1500hp..

So what should i look for? Lenco cs1? Liberty 5-speed equalizer? powerglide? Have never had anything but the 727 transmissions, so I have no experince in anything other than that..
    A power glide sounds like a low service option..

2. wantabe

what weight ?
    application ??

3. mopar_stroker

2800lbs. Dragracing only. The car is a -68 Dart.

4. wantabe

converter trans

cheapest will be a glide...
    then u got turbo glides
    th400
    lenco drive / bruno / quicker drives

why not converter libity ??? :eek:

if you got the crew.. go a clutch.. very dirty work tho
    need data loggers, and lots a clutch plates , manual labor

the latest converters are just as quick as clutches now..
    i like PTC.. just cause they work,the guys are easy to deal with

5. wantabe

just a few i have bought...

!cid_168.jpg #ad

!cid_772.jpg #ad

6. mopar_stroker

A powerglide sounds like the best alternative for me, don't have a "crew" to do the clutch work. And a bruna drive on a liberty will most likely be to expensive... But wich glide? JW? ATI? Transmission specialties? Reid?..... wich glide will make most bang for the buck? :huh:

7. CUUDAK

I used JW in my 900hp+ falcon with no problems. I just had to adjust the band every 5-10 passes just in case!! 70 Inch pounds and back off a turn and a half then lock it down.

8. Sinatra

All the Super Stock A guys are using A999 guts in an A727B case to get the low 1st gear in something that would bolt to a Hemi block, as well as a lot less rotational inertia and pumping loss. Back when I was messing with those cars, Pro Trans was the source of choice. However, I've been out of it for quite some time, and with a turbocharger you might want to look at the A904 gearset, which has a higher-ratio 1st gear (2.47:1 v. the A999's 2.74:1). The additional load of the steeper first gear would get you into the boost faster.

I prefer to keep my Mopars all Mopar, but I also know a lot of the sub-10-second turbocharged guys run a 'glide. Neither option is particularly budget-minded; the popularity of the 'glide has made one of the weakest automatics ever built a heck of a lot cheaper to build to very-stout specs. I'm still mired in the NA world, but I thought I'd throw the hybrid A904/A727 option out there from that experience.

9. CW25

He is talking mid to low 8s. I don't know of anyone running a mopar trans at that level. Glide is the only way to go for reliability and cost. If it were me and no budget I would try a lenco and bruno drive but that isn't anything I will have to worry about for choice.

10. Sinatra

CW25, the Super Stock A guys are in the mid-8s, and the rules dictate they must run a transmission with the original number of gears... or, at least they did a few years back. They were all running hybrid Torqueflites back then. Things may have changed, but Super Stock A rules are pretty stringent--that's why no other make can run with the Hemi A-bodies! ;)

11. turboplymouth

I've heard they run th-400 guts in them now.

As far as the original question, I'd go with a good glide if starting from scratch. Unless the budget is unlimited.

12. wantabe

13. Sinatra

Really?! Seems strange to me, that progression: Strongest auto ever made (727), to wildly modfying guts from a much-weaker one (A904/A999), then to weaker-than-727 guts that take more HP to drive (stock-for-stock). I'm not saying it can't be--not in the least, as aftermarket improvements never cease to develop--but that would be a shocker! I'm gonna have to call my old boss and find out if such heresy is true! :D