1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

building bottom end for turbo

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by blackvenom, Apr 2, 2009.

1. blackvenom

Hey guys i'm new to the site! i've got a 96 cobra with basic bolt-ons and want to put together a stout bottom end for my turbo kit i'm gonna build! I'm new to the internal side of things and i need some suggestions on what kind of rods and pistons to put in it, compression ratio that safe to run, if i should replace or do anything once i've got the motor torn down(oil pump, water pump, timing chain) what size turbo i should run, should i have head work done, aftermarket cams, what kinda power numbers i can expect and just any basic info on building a rock solid bottom end and turbo kit! open to all suggestions! any info is greatly appreciated!

thanks
    branden

2. SHOWTIME!!

8:5 compression would be ideal. You should check out Modular Mustang Racing. They have great quality of parts and have good deals on products. They are a forum member so just hit them up, they will hook you up! Welcome to the forums BTW.

3. blackvenom

thanks bro!

4. SHOWTIME!!

No problem broski

If it was me, I would get the MMR oil pump with teflon coated gears, I would go with a 70mm. I would put custom MMR turbo cams in it and have the heads ported. The MMR 900 pro mod stroker kit is f-in sweet. As you can tell i like the MMR products. If you get on "the builds" forum, there is a budget DOHC turbo build going on right now. That would be a good place to get some info from. Be sure and keep us updated with pics and info on the build.

5. blackvenom

yeah i'll for sure check out that build! i can't decide wheather to stroke it or just go .030 over! and i heard a 76mm would be better for the 4v. any fuel system advice?

6. SHOWTIME!!

Ya i didnt think about it being a 4v car. A 76 would definitly do alot better. If you arent wanting to just spend a whole lot of money, just go .30 over with it. For fuel systems, I have a buddy that was doing forced induction on his cobra and he just put a 255gph fuel pump and bigger fuel rails and it did just fine. I would say u need to run atleast 42lbs injectors.

7. blackvenom

and i assume i would need bigger mass air and throttle body? what kinda power numbers did your buddy put down? what kinda boost?

8. BknBlack

a t70 with big a/r on the exhaust will max out 255lph and 42's

at 14 psi stock 2v heads cams intake and a forged 5.0 bottom end I did 640whp (42's and 255lph)
    When it was tuned the guy said he had to do alot to keep a/f below 12 at higher rpms at 14 psi

so your stock 4v heads will do way better and you have more rpm

9. SHOWTIME!!

i can't remember what my buddy put down in his car. I know it was the stock long block tho. I think it was high 400's at 10psi. Yes you would need the matching mass air flow meter for the injectors and a bigger TB.

10. BknBlack

on a completely stock motor I made 420whp at 8 psi (t70)

11. TT_05_Stang

I wouldnt go any less than 9:1 compression. I prefer 9.5:1 on mod motors. I made the numbers in my sig with a very safe tune, and 15psi. Now with the race heads and cams 700+ will be a cake walk.

12. SHOWTIME!!

What bottom end do u have in your car?

13. TT_05_Stang

05+ alum block(most carbon) considered the strongest, even over the Teksid
    Forged Callies Crank
    Manley Forged H-beams
    CP pistons 9.5:1
    SS rings
    cleavite bearings

14. SHOWTIME!!

Thats pretty impressive. I didnt know that those blocks were stronger than the teksid blocks.

15. TT_05_Stang

Feel free to poke around in the engine build pics

[​IMG]#ad

16. BknBlack

mine was on 9 to 1 compressions also

17. T76 Mach

Went from 8.5 to 9.5 and love the added power and not to mention faster spool times.Please learn from my mistake :2thumbs:

18. turbo cat

i agree 9.5

19. 99TTGT

JE pistons, CP, or Manley 2618
    Eagle, Manley H beam rods 4340 with ARP 2000 rod bolts
    A good set of rings
    Cobra crank.

Street car application
    Precision 76GTS or 78GTS T4 with a .96 A/R <single turbo>
    Precision twin 6169E with a .58 A/R

Race car application
    T6 88MM mid frame
    T6 BW S480 1.10 AR with a .87mm exhaust wheel

20. ShaneH

With a 4v, I would go 9.5:1. An 8.5:1 4v is a dog out of boost. I like to keep the bore as small as possible even if it means ordering a custom piston for .005 or .010 over. Head gaskets tend to seal better on these blocks when done this way. MMR is a vendor on here and has a nice set of rods for this app. You can get the complete rotating assembly or shortblock from them.