1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Thinking about swapping heads from 2v to 4v and need some help!

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by 1fast-turbo-coupe, Apr 4, 2009.

1. 1fast-turbo-coupe

Are there any disadvantages to using Lincoln dohc heads instead of 03/04 cobra dohc heads? What 4v head is the best out there? Please school me! Thanks for the help!

2. gryphon68

The big difference for anything but max effort is intake manifold selection. Sullivan Intakes are only for Tumble Port "C-Heads" (99-04 Cobra and Navi)

The "Best" 4V head are the recent GT/GT500 heads. These require a custom intake or lots of port match work to make a Sullivan fit.

Prior the the GT heads the preferred head was the Navigator Tumble Port head, they had slightly larger port volume than the 4.6 heads.

3. 99TTGT

:agree:

4. Turbo98

What's the set-up? Turbo? Power goals? etc.

5. 1fast-turbo-coupe

The car has a good short block, Twin 61mm turbos, 4R70W transmission w/break. HP goal is 900-1000rwhp. The car has ported 2v heads, comp cams, and reichard intake. The valves and valvetrain is whooped. I dont want to put any money into the 2v setup, I would like to switch now while I can. I would rather invest money into a better combination. I have access to 4v heads but they are off of a Lincoln. Is there an Intake out there that will work with these heads? Which heads and intake are the perfered ones? Thanks.

6. 99TTGT

Dude get some Ford ones It will be better & easier..

7. 1fast-turbo-coupe

So the 4v heads off of the Lincoln with a Ford intake? Which intake?

8. 99TTGT

heads from a 03/04 cobra,99/01 cobra, navi, intratec,etc

9. turbomike76

listen to him he knows his shit... :bow:

10. Turbo98

Those B heads you have will make a lot of power if you want to go that route. It is cheaper than going with the later generation heads and can easily make the ower you are looking for. There's another thread on here recently with this exact debate--2V ported heads vs. the 4V B heads. Basically, you can use the factory '96-'98 Cobra intake and shorten the runners by 2". MMR is coming out with an intake very soon too. Here's a recent thread regarding the intakes:
    https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124065.0

11. Turbo98

12. big dave

I can get some b heads for super cheap right now but the intake availability is what scares me.... It doesn't seem like there are ever many b heads intakes for sale other than the weird lincoln one with the throttle body in the wrong place. Any suggestions? What about the exhaust flange can't the later headers/exhaust manifolds be used on the early heads but not visa versa?

13. Turbo98

Well, it's turning out there are pretty many intake choices for the B-heads. I think companies are finally seeing the market for them. You have:

1. Modified stock one with shortened runners--good for 20-30rwhp N/A but probably more FI. You can find them for ~$200-250 from time to time on the Corral and ebay.

2. Sullivan Performance is coming out with one. They have the prototype and it is still in development but not sure when that will be done. It showed nice gains over the stocker.

3. MMR is realeasing one real soon with ~8" long runners which sounds promising for under $1,000. It will also be for side or front mount t-body.

4. HCI which are hard to find and only found used.

5. Custom sheet metal--expensive.

14. gryphon68

From time to time, you MIGHT find one for sale, you MIGHT NOT . . . . you might be forced to PAY someone to fabricate one at a much higher cost.

They have been working on this seemingly forever, I wouldn't hold my breath. Besides the supposed pics I saw where a crazy long runner dual TB monster.

See above, offense to MMR, but all performance parts companies seem to do this, "It'll be out realy soon, we promise . . . ", after your car is down an entire season becasue you were waiting on the "really soon new part" you decide it might be best to get something that actually exists and is really available to buy.

Same problem as #1, but worse availability and higher price.

Yes, you can have a custom sheet metal intake built for just about anything . . . unless you have a MAX EFFORT Race Car why would you bother. Now if you have the skills and tools and have time to do it your self, then more power to you. . . .

To be honest none of these options seem that great to me compared to an product that is available at a known cost and has been proven to work well.

15. gryphon68

The exhaust port basically got larger and larger as you move from 1993 to 2003/4. Any aftermarket header that was designed to work on the 03/04 Cobra heads will work on any earlier B or C head. Using earlier exhaust manifolds/headers on later heads may have a lip/step at the edge of the exhaust port which is not great for flow.

16. Turbo98

With all those options, one would certainly fit any application. The Cobra intakes are for sale all the time in stock form. Yes, you would have to pay somebody to modify it but it's still cheaper than any other option and it IS PROVEN on many cars. Many people have seen gains of 20-30rwhp N/A like I said. So why isn't this a proven intake? Granted it's not produced by a corportation but it works. The Sullivan has been dyno'd and proven. And yes, I've been following it for years and that's why I said who knows when it will come out. It doesn't mean it's not an option depending on when his build is to be done. The HCI was on one of the fastest stock B headed turbo Cobras. Hard to find like I said but still an option and I've seen them going for around 1K. We'll see with MMR but I do believe it will be real soon or they wouldn't have stated that. Is it proven? We'll see. They've been testing it on two cars for a year now.

I'm not endorsing any one of the above. Just saying there are many options that are very viable and reasonable in price if you wanted to go 4V with B heads.

17. Turbo98

Heck, a bone stock Cobra intake with simple port matching has produced over 900rwhp in a turbo application! So, again, depending on the goals/use of the car, the stocker would even work.

18. 99TTGT

So imagine how much better the 03/04 setup is.! :2thumbs:

19. Turbo98

N/M.

20. Turbo98