1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Thinking about going turbo

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by abritton77, Aug 2, 2012.

1. abritton77

I have a 383 SB in a Camaro that I am thinking about turboing. I recently put this car together to bracket race mainly and also to have a little fun on the street. My plan would be to use a Carb and probably use GT45. Are all of the GT45's the same? I have been looking at this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-RACE-G...Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d202b9.

Can turbo car be consistent enough to bracket race? Ive recently give up dirt track racing and am pretty new to drag racing. I have saw several outlaw turbo cars, but no bracket turbo cars.

Thanks for any help you can provide

2. turbostang500

I think all gt45's are the same.

IMO, turbo cars aren't worth a shit at bracket racing.
    a well built small block with great suspension under it is what I would do for bracket racing.

Turbo cars seem to be more popular in heads up racing from what i watch.

3. M&M Turbochargers

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/diy-and-junkyard-turbo-tech/some-info-on-gt45-y2004k-china-turbo-(new-pics)/

a link to some gt45 info i think some gt45's come in 2 sizes but not for sure

looks like vs sells quite a few of these

4. abritton77

What would you guys recommend for a turbo? I've only looked on Ebay and may be willing to spend upto a grand to get one that I didnt have to worry about. I am defiantly going to turbo something this winter. I guess my thoughts are to turbo what I have and once it blows, drop in an LS motor.

5. M&M Turbochargers

lots of people using borg warner s475 and s480's

6. turbostang500

Hell ya chief!
    I won't discourage you to run a turbo! Lol. Just don't think it is the best for "bracket" racing. It will make the track more fun though!! Lol

Good luck.

7. abritton77

In all honesty, I think I like building stuff to race more that I like the actual racing. I want to build something with a turbo so bad I cant see straight.

8. turbostang500

I have been there man. Feel the same way, well up until I got to make a full boost run! Lol.
    I like driving turbo cars too!

Don't be shy about starting a build thread! Guys like to follow along and help out if they spot something. It is kinda like reading a novel!!! Haha

9. rgreule

borg warner s400 series turbos are a good price and make plenty of power for a street car.. it all just depends on your power goals..