1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Things You Wish You Knew Before Starting A 99+ 2v diy Build

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by RandyRoy, Apr 2, 2008.

1. RandyRoy

I just finished up a 5.0 kit and Im getting ready to start on a 99+ 2v car. Im going to do a tubular k-member on the car and plan to run the stock manifolds and mount the turbo inbetween the radiator and motor(seems like that is where most single setup are placed) I know there are kits out there but we are going to try and fab up a good setup and maybe have it reproduced. So an off the shelf kit is out of the picture because I dont just want to buy a kit and copy it. I like the idea of having my own design then have someone else copy it as that seems to be the norm in the industry.

So before I get started, does anyone have any good tips to get me started or thinks I might want to get on order before I get tearing into this?

2. turbomike76

pipes, mendral bent.....exauhst flanges, v ban's, t-bolt hose clips, and some good cuplers...o'riles sell 2.5-3 inch hose that can be cut to any lenght you want. and they work well

3. Flycaz

Write down a plan and stick to it!

I got a case of the, "Well as long as I'm doing "this" I should do "that" too..." Two years and 2x my original budget it's still on Jackstands... :doh:

4. frozenphil

100x this. Make a plan and a budget and stick to it.

I have a 1967 Mustang project that I started 12 years ago when I was 16. My intent was to replace the broken cam and use it as a daily driver. While I'm at it disease got a hold of me really bad. Here's what it looks like today, 12 years and nearly $20k later.

5. blown99

am just doing the final touches on my 96 2v single turbo. I too used stock manifolds, (sort of) I used a 5.4 truck manifold on the right side, facing forward so the exit was just above the A/C compressor. I mounted much of the A?C system components inside/under the right side fender skirt. Everything is tight so buy wrap for the exhaust and foil sleeves for the wiring (for the fan, crank sensor etc.) O2 sensor bungs are also needed. I also put in solid motor mounts since I used the stock K memeber and routed the crossover pipe through the engine mount area of the K member. I was not able to keep the stock p.s. cooler in its stock location with the fmic. This required rerouting of some of the ps lines. Good luck.

6. BoostedBuckeye

I would have bought magicbus headers

7. jinx44

Tell me about it. I ordered my turbo kit, planning to put it on the stock engine as a daily driver with a little more power. I started installing the kit, and by the time it left the shop it had a built shortblock, ported heads, cams, drag suspension shocks and springs, narrowed 8.8 with 9" ends, spool, braces, swapped to a 4R70 auto, cage, fuel system, and big drag radials. LOL