1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

too big turbo ?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ivanhoew, Mar 30, 2006.

1. ivanhoew

quiz question for the day !!
    is a holset hc-3 64mm inducer too big for a 6800 rpm 215 ci v8 manual transmission ?
    regards robert.

2. Lincs 84 351

Depends, if it is a full-race set-up, then no.

Otherwise, yes, it is too big.

3. ivanhoew

thanks lincs , i thought that may be the case ,its in a 2 staged system ,in a light car ,so i think i may just bypass the small turbo to see whether the holset actually spools up at all , with the small turbo functioning at 1800 it would make boost at 3 k but obvioulsy that was with the small one making 7psi worth of extra exhaust gas , say 50 percent more than would be normal at 3k ,but also robbing that gas of a lot of heat and inertia ,so it will prob spin up at somewhere between 3k times 1.5 ,,so 4500 and say 3500maybe be interesting to see .i have no map for it and dont even know at the mo which a/r it has .!! :angel:

4. Lincs 84 351

Here, I moved the info over here where it belongs....

5. ivanhoew

thank you . ill try to get the connection pipe off today to see what cm the turbine housing is ,hopefully its a smaller one than what seems to be the average 22 cm housig on most of the holsets of a similar soze ,reading throughh the mails on this site ,it seems to be the same sort of size to a hx50 , which was a 64 or 67 mm inducer ,,the only map iv seen for the hx50 doesnt say if its a 54 or 57 doh.!! :huh:
    regards robert.

6. ivanhoew

ok,so i have found the map for a hx50/55 so im assumng its a 67mm .plotting 15 psi at 6800 at 95% ve gives me the centre of the map ,
    so now im thinking bout the split housing block off idea ,and stuff me if it isntbeing discussed on the forum under faster spool etc ,excellent!
    so now i envisage using the hc3 ,split housing open on one side valve to other side,openning due to boost pressure or ex bp depends which works better ,in my experience using ex bp tends to create a higher mid range torque /boost and less at top than a boost pressure reactive valve would , then see if the thing surges like a barstard cos of the compressor being just so way too big it kicks in too much boost at low air flow and sends it off the left of the surge line ,this i suppose could be cotrolled with a rpm switch off the msd 7 to control pressure feed to the diverter valve to the housing ,ah fun .robert.

7. ivanhoew

dang nab it!! :bang: blasted turbine housing has no size in either of the two inlets to the turbine ,and it seems just the part no on the side of the housing by the flange,hmmmm,in case anybody has any holset data ,this turbo is part no 3504156 and its off a cummins poss NTE375 but that just a guess ,it dates from 1989 when i bought it brand new for £250!,any help greatly appreciated ,meanwhile ill e mail holset,just in case... robert.oh ill stick some pics of all this in the next post.

8. ivanhoew

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

bit scruffy i know ,been used and parked outside in all weather since 1990!!

9. Lincs 84 351

They probably won't reply, they don't like to deal with the "public"

What vehicle is in the last two pictures?

10. ivanhoew

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

this one linc . its a 74 tvr 2500m.

11. Lincs 84 351

Looks wicked. Too bad the bonnet needed to be cut :(

12. ivanhoew

ah well you cant make an omellette withuot breaking eggs etc i like it so thats what matters !,nice cold plenum thuogh.i was a bit suprised at it having 296 lbs ft on only 9psi on a 215 ,i reckon that cold plenum deff helped ,cos the small turbo wasnt ic.
    regards robert.

13. ivanhoew

well amazingly ,the holset company deigned to mail me back with some info !!! :2thumbs: turns out that my housing is a 4 square inch size !! so i suppose that means 25.8 square cm ? hmmmbit big .so all the small turbo stuff is off ,and now to get building the pipes from the manifolds to the hc3.think i may try to create a flapper valve to block off the 2nd turbine inlet out of a chunk of titanium i have left over ,and use a spring to load it or a wastegate body . regards robert.

14. twinturbo351

Ahhhhh the good old "Rover V8".
    I stuffed one of those in my MGB when i lived in UK.
    TVR's gotta love em , i also had a TVR 390 SE back in the early 90's.

15. ivanhoew

update : turns out that a 4 inch housing IS A 25CM ,SO THATS SEEMS A BIT HIGH ,BUT HOLSET TELL ME THERES ONLY ONE SIZE SMALLER AT 3.25inch( bloody caps key) so ill try it with the open split scroll first and see what happens!

16. lxturbo

Bad ass looking car :2thumbs:

17. gofastmerc

Cool project!

Didn't that little V8 come from Olds?? One of the first turbo V8s sold here, back in the sixties, then sold to Rover? (I think?)

18. Lincs 84 351

Yes, actually was a Buick design (Olds borrowed it) then later sold to Rover.

19. ivanhoew

yes thats right gofast , it was brought over here and made to rev to 5500 ,then put in the rover p5b ,then went up to 180 bhp i think in the rover vitesse in the 80's.now its in the range rovers ,bored and stroked out to 4.8 i think .mine is cammed and ported and forged to about 6500 rpm peak power ,and ran a 12.85 at santa pod in 93 'with the engine siezed after mid track cos i unfortunately turned off the water injection(doh) it locked up ,and put the clutched c4 auto straight into neutral! still ran 101 terminal ,and had run a faster top quarter earlier in the day which gave best poss of 12.56,on treads wheel spinnig through first and a bit of second 2.02 60 ft ,on 12 psi .only later on the dyno did i realize that it was all over power wize at 4500 cos the small turbo was so restrictive,at 9 psi it had 296 lb ft and 250 bhp ,so on 12 i guess about 320 and 280 ish. these times were at 77 degrees c and 977 mb pressure ,so i dont know what those times would be corrected ,and also how much faster it would have gone with some grip and say a 1.6 60 ft ,maybe time will tell once i get this tubo stuff sorted ,,im in vancouver for a month so im resaerch ing the turbine housing situation to see if i can get one here and take it home . holset tell me that ican get a p/n 3501033,3519306,3500706 any of theese will be 3.25 .inch.
    regards robert.

20. ivanhoew

little bit more progress , hopefully get it runnin g on the one turbo and see what happens ,then try the blocked off scroll on the turbine and see what happens then !! bearing in mind the log manifolds itll be a worst case scenario !!
    i can data log boost rise on the lc-1 so itll be good to get before and after graphs ,. oh a few more pics of the car too .
    robert.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad