1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

THERE IS A TON OF ADVANCED TECH INVOLVED HERE.

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by Boost Engineer, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Boost Engineer

tbird, Disney Lincoln and B E N like this.
  2. Boost Engineer

Years ago Ford Management asked me if I could make 1000 horsepower with a 3.5L Twin Turbo engine.
    in December there will be a new Ken Block video with a 3.5L Twin Turbo 900+ HP in a old F-150 truck shell but state of the art chassis (all wheel drive) vehicle. Looking forward to seeing the Video. Might be some interesting Intake ideas
    in the video.

Tom V.

MCA and TTF/Ken like this.
  3. Drac0nic

Honestly I wouldn't see 3.5L and 900hp being that hard depending on the fuel and if you could get the bottom end to hold together. I mean my buddy did just under 700 to the tire with a 2JZ that was basically cam only and that was an engine from ~20 years ago on E50. As a pump gas creation I could see 900-1K HP on 3.5L being a lot more interesting to achieve if it's realistic at all outside of a racing situation. I'd think you'd be looking at 8K redline pretty easily if not more.

Be curious to see what the F150 looks like when they get it done, that Mustang looks like fun. :)

4. B E N

Looks a lot like this

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a24174036/ken-block-hoonicorn-ford-f150-pickup/

I think the power output from the little v6 is pretty incredible, considering it isn't a dyno queen or a 1/4 mile car. Base on previous Gymkhana vehicles this thing is going to get flogged for long periods of time, and a sudden loss of power could be hazardous, it is expected to live.

Edit: Oh yeah, and definitely a sweet manifold~

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  5. oethel

The torture test of this engine was pretty cool.they pull a engine randomly from the assembly line and beat the crap out of it and then tear it down to see if it was up to snuff.

6. Drac0nic

The idea that they can 3D print an intake manifold from aluminum is amazing to me. Just another way we live in the future. I mean, when will the day come we're all getting 3D printed intakes for whatever we want? I mean, I'd love one for say my Pontiac.

7. B E N

The medical industry 3d prints bone replacements from titanium, the bicycle industry can 3d print a bike from carbon fiber strand, its all coming along really well. The tech just isn't good enough for mass production, it's slow, the design work takes training, experience and software skill. Printing in metals (SLS) is expensive and dangerous... aluminum, magnesium and titanium powders are all explosive at or below sintering temps.

You could get an intake printed from carbon reinforced ABS or nylon from your local 3d printing store or an online source today. All you would need is the 3d model to get it done. It might take a few tries though as the materials tend to shrink and warp unevenly.

8. Drac0nic

It is certainly a hope, dream and ambition in my lifetime that I can 3D print an intake manifold for something no matter the material so long as it's functional. I think it would be amazing in a Star Trek replicator kind of way.

9. tbird

Nice billet block