1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

T4 or T6 turbo , which would you choose and why?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Louis Rowe, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Louis Rowe

I have been reading on turbos lately and noticed that alot of people are using the T6 S475 and S480.
    I was just wondering if they are better than the T4 turbos of the same size.
    I do see that they are a lot heaver than the T4s though.
    I even read about some S475 turbos on stock 302 and 306s.
    Just looking for some reasons why people pick one over the other.

2. ash

$$$$$$$

3. Louis Rowe

Is it any harder to set a T6 over the T4?

4. leeperryracing

T6 needs more space and a t6 flange to mount the turbo.

5. littlebluefoxbody

Most times people are scared to death of the turbo. So afraid it will not spool they get a turbo with too small of hotside.
    Or you have those with a 3500 stall convertor and want to make boost at 2000 rpm? Why? you have 3500 stall.

A s400 is a larger turbo. is it right for you combo, do know. Matching your engine to the correct hot and cold side is important.
    there is no need for a t-6 80 mm on a stock block 302.

6. Gen1SVE

The t-6 96mm turbine wheel s400 is the cheapest S400. It takes a bit (few hundred more rpm) to spool it but it makes up for it with a great flowing turbine. The high flow turbine side makes great top end power. This large turbine side is not avalable in a t-4 turbine housing.

People choose the t-4 side for the smaller turbine wheel, better spool, and provides plenty of power for a stock block, as others have stated.

I choose the t-6 s488 (same hot side as the standard T-6 s400) for the top end, but i do have a dart based block. I did have this turbo on a 7.5:1(static compression) 306. It did not spool the turbo until 4500. Once it did it was very nice. To give you an example how poor it spooled off idle it ran 14.62@132. I am guessing a 9:1 306 would have lit the turbo off around 3500.

7. Louis Rowe

Thanks for the info guys, it looks like it would be to for a mild 306 but people are still doing good with them.
    How do you think it would do on a mild 351 build.
    Also would the T6 take more money to build the hot side than a t4.
    Thanks

8. turboventura

t6 hotside wouldnt be any more expensive, basically a 3in pipe will shape to a t4 flange and a 3.5in to a t6. If its a stick and a street car go with a t4, if you want more flow up top and plan on the strip some dont be be scared of a t6 based turbo.

9. zodicus

i have a s374 witch has the t4 hot side, but it has a 3.5in down pipe flange. i choose the t4 for better spool up on the 306 indidnt want it to be laggy. also the reason i choose the ssi intake and the smaller dart 195 heads. I want a nice flat torque curve. what good is a ton of power if its only there for 1000 rpm, or so. unless its a drag car with a glide :)

10. Gen1SVE

I run a t-6 gt47-88 on a very mild 351 (stock bottom end, e-cam, gt-40 intake, preformer heads with small valves), on the street. It is no laggier than my Evo 8 with the stock turbo. I am verry happy with it.