1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

**The BLACK COUPE Build...from "JYD coupe" to "True10.5 Showcar"**

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Sick88lx, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Sick88lx

**The BLACK COUPE Build...from "JYD coupe" to "True10.5 Showcar"**

I've been meaning to post a thread on this car for a while but now that it's nearing completion I think I will just skip all the suspense of the past year and a half that it's been getting put together. This is my good friend Travis' car that he's been busting his ass on for years. He's been telling me to do this for a while and im finally getting around to it. But I figure instead of just letting people know what's going on now, i'd like to show the real beginings and how the car got to where it is today. Back in the days of running low 10's and 9's then blowin a head gasket at the track friday, having it tore down and fixed by saturday night. This is the car that started to get our name out there, it was known as the "JYD Coupe". It had a rough life in the beginning but now it sits pampered in its' own personal heated and cooled garage.

It had a stock block 331, stock fuel system, stock computer, dry kit, and a STOCK t-5. People laughed as we pushed it thru the staging lanes cause it was about 4 different colors, primered quarter panel, mismatched hood with a 1" of dust n dirt on it. As soon as it left they sure changed there mind's real quick and knew it wasn't there for no damn car show. It broke necks all right...when the score board lit up and even more so when people would come up to ask what the hell was in it.

OLD VIDEO
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/BPAs-Black-CoupeSTOCK-T5_38639.htm

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/BPA-Stangs_8368.htm

Racing a local street racing legend @ TAD...Black55 footbrakes a .400light and PJ hunts him down
    http://centexhotrods.com/rudy/LilBlack89vsBlack55.mpeg

This is what a 9.81 @140 T-5 car looks like.... :D

Doesn't look like much does it??? It was a moneymaked though that's for sure.

LOL the vid of this pass the mic on my camera picked up this redneck dude saying "He aint gonna stop dat sumbitch in da quarter mile"

Well it's now 2007 and the car now has a Dart block 348, AFR 205's, Carb, and a G-force T-5. Oh yeah it's also all 1 color now and the engine bay has been filled in. Unfortunatly carb and motor problems we never got a real good pass on it as we were still learning the carb thing when the motor needed some attention. It ran a best of 10.3 @133 N/A with the 5spd and was only shifted at 6500 or so due to the synchro's. It was designed for 7200 rpm shifts so needles to say there was some power that was being left out.

I remember this day pretty vividly....stopped by and Travis was so excited he just got his Pro-systems carb in and it was money well spent. Unfortunatly we couldn't take the car out to test because there was scattered showers everywhere. I really wish we did otherwise we would of avoided probably the worst night of our life's when we got hit by a drunk driver later that night. The good thing is everybody is ok today but definatly a day I wont soon forget.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Here's the aftermath with Travis' truck...
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

With all that behind it was time to re-do the car. The Autopower cage just wasn't going to cut it anymore, motor needed a little more :chacha: and since it was going to be down for a while there was no sense in not tryin to do it right the first time.

Sent off to Manny's Custom Chassis for a Moly cage and mini-tub...
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

While we waited for the chassis to be done. The garage was added on to so the car had it's own room, LOL. With all the amenities, A/C , Heat, Air connections, TV, and surround sound for some motivational music of course. Im still trying to get them to add that stripper pole and bunk beds though... to no avail :ahah:

Excuse my mess on the side of the shop. I had my motors and parts scattered over there...
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Hmm painted valve cover or carbon fiber???
    [​IMG]#ad

Engine Bay gettin redone and all smoothed out...
    [​IMG]#ad

Antone filling up some holes left from when it was EFI
    [​IMG]#ad

After a trip to Mark's House where he, Pj, and Antone worked there magic. They make it look too easy... :bow:
    [​IMG]#ad

Time to drop the little bird motor in there as we call it...
    [​IMG]#ad

My dad and Travis puttine the back window back in.
    [​IMG]#ad

Time for wiring...Matt did a killer job re-wiring the entire car with the painless kit. I think first thing wired was the nitrous kit....LOL you know we cant forget that.
    [​IMG]#ad

Time to get the interior in, new carpet, seat, and re did the dash and all the panels.
    [​IMG]#ad

Mounted shifter, added gauge cluster, and shift light
    [​IMG]#ad

Can't forget the passenger seat for the girlfriend....she doesn't know it but she gets to hold the NOS bottles :D
    [​IMG]#ad

I found a deal on these Alumastars as the prostars didnt have the offset needed. Little polishing and they were as good as new.
    [​IMG]#ad

Here she sits now. Got the front end off and PJ is painting it and adding the lower valence to it.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Oh yeah a couple motor pics.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

So that's where we are at today. The doors are currently off and Pj is painting them as the front end is already painted so the car should be in the body shop this week for the rest of the car. I will have pics once i'ts all back together and hopefully we can start testing soon and see what this little bird motor can do and learn a little more on the nitrous and carb setup before we step up the game. But dont worry it wont be long now.

Badass Car you built there Travis. Im sure he wants to thank all the friends involved in making this happen, Antone, Mark, Pj, Matt, Manny, Jay P, Buck, and we cant forget about Bob :bow:

Rudy

2. Turbo_Baer

Re: **The BLACK COUPE Build...from "JYD coupe" to "True10.5 Showcar"**

:2thumbs: looks GREAT ! i remember a while back hearing about that crash and seeing some pics. glad everyone is doing ok. good luck with the new setup !

3. Forced5

That looks like its gonna be a fun A$$ ride..... Beautiful car man.. :cheers:

4. PEARL MUSSIN

Very nice coupe, I love the old video bangin the T5... :chacha:

5. 88foxbody

That is one beautiful black coupe!!! :bow: :bow: Now you really kicked me in the azz to finish my black 347 turbo coupe :chacha: :chacha:

6. Sick88lx

Yeah we'll see how this setup turns out and have a little fun makin some vids while we're at it. Car is going to be dropped off Monday to get the rest of the car painted and I think he finally ordered a hood just now. Cant wait to see it all in 1 piece with the new jet black paint job.

Yeah the vids bring back good ole memories of loading it up for the track every friday and just beating the hell out of. Car has definatly come a long way to where it is now. And it will only get better from here....cant wait for the next BIG update :D

7. Frdmstang

I see a MM&FF feature in your future! Keep up the great work.

Ty

8. went12s

bad ass... :2thumbs:

9. sleeperlsc

That car is dead sexy.... :arco: The stance is perfect, very nice work

10. Unatural

What transmission did he end up going with? I forgot to ask you that before.

11. PEARL MUSSIN

Did you build it for a specific class? KOTT?

Jeremy

PS HOOK "EM

12. badbowtiefox

Car looks wicked!! Very nice ride. :bow: Is that Temple Academey Dragway in the picture?

13. Sick88lx

A magazine feature would be incredible especially considering where this care came from. Although magazines generally dont like black cars and nitrous....but who knows.

Right now the transmission is currently a C4 but he has a powerglide that he's going to get built in case he wants to make that change. The car wasn't built toward a specific class but since it's still stock suspension it's legal to run in any of the local True 10.5 class. It would be nice to actually have a car in there running with those guys but the way the rules are all the foxbody guys are putting BBC's in.... which i'd hate to see so hopefully when we step we can do it with a competitive SBF combo.

Yes that's good ole Temple Academy.... :chacha:

14. 2nsane4u

that is one badass ride :2thumbs:

15. Sick88lx

VIDEO....There Goes The Neighborhood
    [​IMG]#ad

Well stopped by today and got some new pics before the car went back to Pj so he lay some wet black paint on it to match the front end that's done. WOW is an understatement.... :bow:
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Getting ready to load her up
    [​IMG]#ad

Ready to head to paint job and get put back together, Shouldn't be long now...
    [​IMG]#ad

16. dragrazor

LOL, that last vid was funny. Awesome car/build!! The car looks absolutely sick!! Great job! Keep us posted.

17. topfueldart

Super clean... nice job!!

18. rednotchtub

great build one of the nicest black notchs ive seen

19. jevans

Very Cool Thread Rudy, Travis has a really Sweet car. It's come a long way, definitely a head turner. Looks like Travis has quite a few buddies who enjoy helping with the car, you guys have done some really nice work. I'll keep a eye on the progress with the car, good luck with it...John

20. Badsnake306

honestly the cleanest coupe build ive seen yet. awesome job. :bow: this car have turbo plans? ha :chacha: