1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

The 83GT... back to BBF

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by BBR, Oct 8, 2019.

1. BBR

Attach8346_20180522_131623.jpg #ad

Ok, as if I don't have enough stuff going on, we are going to try to add a GT45 turbo to our 1983 Mustang GT.

I ran a n/a big block in it and it was a fun pump gas street car. 10.teens @ 136. We pulled the big block out and my boys built a stock-ish 302 for it and backed it with a junkyard T-5. Jake (my oldest) and I took it on Rocky Mountain Race Week in 2018 and he had a total blast beating on it. It ran like a top and was the only 14 second car that would pull a tire off the line. lol.

image_57170.jpg #ad

Best pass ever n/a was 14.00 @ 98. We added a nitrous kit and it ran a best of 12.28 @ 113. Probably still had more in it, but that was where we stopped. My youngest son, Judd and I are planning to do RMRW in 2020 so we wanted to make some performance improvements and ditch the nitrous. I am not a huge fan of nitrous and I don't want to fund a week's worth of bottle fills! Haha.

I already ordered the turbo and hot side and they will be here Wednesday. I went with the 1.05 AR turbine so maybe we will have a decent chance of spooling it. $145 for the hot side and $150 for the turbo is stupid cheap and really hard to pass up.

The hotside looks like an On3 kit. Knock off maybe. Not sure if you can have a chinese knock off of a chinese product, but whatever.

We will convert our Holley 650 DP to a blow-thru carb and limit boost to 6-8 lbs. The goal is to run in the low 12's on 91 octane gas, much like it does on the N2O.

The 302 has TRW forged pistons, cleaned up D8 heads, a Summit cam, Performer intake and Crane rockers. CR is 8.9:1. Hopefully we can do this for less than the cost of a head/cam/intake upgrade.

20180622_111738.jpg #ad

Chassis-wise, the car has a 6 point bar, subframe connectors, tubular K, front coilovers, manual rack, 3.55's c-clip elims, Strange 5 way shocks and an arb. (that was not connected in above wheelie photo haha)

My *hope* is to have Judd do most of the wrenching, but he is a busy guy so we'll see.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Briansshop and Disney Lincoln like this.
  2. BBR

Wow just after I posted this, the Fedex guy came in with my parts! A day early! lol

20191008_093029.jpg #ad

EGFORDGUY and MCA like this.
  3. captaingriffin

This it gonna be fun!! Loved reading your thread over on bangshift about your experience running rmrw. Looks like yall had a great time. Would love to do that one myself someday. Excited to see this build progress!

4. BBR

RMRW was awesome. It is a great event and the people that put it on are top notch. The extra drive days are fantastic and help slow down the pace a bit.

5. Disney Lincoln

Man, that kit... Hope it works. I'd be tempted to sell it and build a kit off some shorty headers. Have fun on this build!

6. Pro-SC

I agree with Disney, I guess you can try it and see if it will bolt up but I would bring a welder with me on that trip. I tried a couple of those kits and one of them would not even bolt up, but they were not copies of the on3 kit so who knows. Still going to run a stick?

7. BBR

Yes we are keeping the T5. :banana:

I have no worries that I can make it fit. I do plan to add some additional support for the turbo since these gt45's are on the heavy side.

8. BBR

Man, carb hats are kinda crazy priced.

9. BBR

Waste gate, blow off valve w/ mount, v-band clamps, oil feed and drain lines are all ordered. Should be here Tuesday. I think I can use some of the cold side piping that was left over from the truck. We are not going to need much. Total investment so far: $470

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  10. nxcoupe

I love this kind of build....

GraySky likes this.
  11. captaingriffin

12. Russell

You own a welder! :)

BBR likes this.
  13. BBR

I know. We just moved so I have been neck deep in getting settled and we went to USAFA this past weekend to visit my son. Hopefully things will settle down this week and we can start spinning wrenches again on BOTH projects.

captaingriffin likes this.
  14. BBR

Some more bits showed up today. Wastegate, BOV with mount, oil lines, and v-band clamps.

20191015_163205.jpg #ad

nxcoupe likes this.
  15. BBR

First oopsie. (second if you don't like the hot side kit, haha) There will probably be plenty of these as we go along...

The hot side wastegate flange is for an HKS style wastegate. My wastegate is a Tial style flange. Had to order a $20 adapter. I could have made it myself, but I will happily spend the $20 to not have to!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  16. BBR

Jumped right into it this evening. It became were apparent that 3 things are already working against me.

1. Convertible motor mounts - lowers engine.
    2. The 1.5" k-member spacers I installed to make the big block fit properly.
    3. Using the rearmost (1" setback) motor mount slots in the k-member.

These team up to put the passenger header/turbo flange right where the swaybar mount is. I'm not using a sway bar so I will zip it off with a death wheel and the reevaluate. I'm not married to the spacers so they could go away. Just extra work.

17. captaingriffin

What size/brand gate is that? Never seen a bov silicone coupler like that before, nice!

18. BBR

It is a 38mm "Speed Daddy"! Haha.

Just compared engine heights to my buddy's '84. Mine is 2.5" lower in the chassis than his is! I knew it was lower, but yikes!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    nxcoupe likes this.
  19. Pro-SC

Yea I like that bov coupler too, good idea.

20. BBR

Judd and I removed the k-member spacers and everything fits now. It is good to have a Judd!!

I went to the Buick vs. Ford shootout at Thunder Valley (Oklahoma) today. I just watched this year, but talked to a guy there with an on3 kit on an EFI aero car. C4, Explorer shortblock, TFS heads and some intake, System Max maybe, tuned with a Quarterhorse. Ran 9.80's.

captaingriffin and nxcoupe like this.