1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

TH400/YOKE/DRIVESHAFT questions

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Fryguy302, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Fryguy302

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We put a TH400 in my Fox mustang. The trans came out of another mustang, and the guy supplied the yoke with the trans, and told me he just added it to his aluminum FMS driveshaft.

The tailshaft housing on the trans is really short, and the splined part of the yoke is long. Because of this, the splined part only goes about halfway into the trans. You can tell by the witness marks on the yoke that the previous owner ran the car this way, but it doesn't seem really safe.

In order to cut the yoke down, or get a shorter yoke, I'd have to get a longer driveshaft. I'm wondering which of the following makes the most sense:

1. Get a custom driveshaft/yoke built
    2. Get a longer tailshaft/housing so that the current driveshaft/yoke works
    3. Don't worry about it and run it since the other guy did

I know I'm at least going to dyno the car with the thing the way it is, but I'd like a better solution before running the car.

Any opinions?

2. Traction Issuez

Build a driveshaft safety loop and see what happens
    issuez

3. lteone

does the output shaft have a threaded hole in the center?

4. tom351

its pretty common to have to cut them shorter...i had a spicer yoke on my t400 and had to cut an inch or 2 off of it...

5. Fryguy302

The car does have a safety loop.

I'll check and see if the tailshaft has a threaded hole in it. What would that mean?

Also, I know it's common to have them cut shorter, but I think if I cut it shorter, the driveshaft will then be too short? This is an FMS aluminum driveshaft.

Any of you guys running TH400's with the JW bell and a stock length driveshaft?

Thanks for the info.

6. boosted90lx

mine is a long tail th400 and a custom short ds...