1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Th400 or power glide?

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by cravens02, Oct 16, 2014.

1. cravens02

I sold my 4r70w with it bring more of a tack only car I really didn't need OD. But I'm trying to figure out what would be a better choice of a trans for my car, will hardly ever been on the street at this point and I will be doing 90% 1/8 mile racing

2. Mnlx

Weight? Car in your sig?

3. 99TTGT

glide

4. cravens02

3150 with me in the car 275-60-15 radials about 1200 rwhp

- - - Updated - - -

1.8 or 1.69 gear?

5. TurboComet

A 1.69-equipped Powerglide is pretty hard to beat for a combination like yours. Easy to manage power and wheel speed, easy to get the car down the track, only one gear change to make, low maintenance, and relatively light weight. No real down side.

You're not going to need the extra torque multiplication offered by the lower first gear in a TH400, and there isn't enough gain to be had (if any at all) by spending the significant amount of extra money to run a TH400 with a custom gear set (such as 1.95 or 1.86) in your combination. A 2-speed TH400 with a 1.56 or 1.48 low gear could arguably be another good option, although I still say that it's hard to beat a Powerglide in a car like yours.

We offer forum member discounts if you're shopping for a transmission.

6. cravens02

Iam shoping for a new trans, could you PM ME A quote for a glide then?

7. TurboComet

PM sent. Thanks!

8. converturbo

At what point is the first gear a big deal? I'm looking to drive my car on the street and it is a bit heavier as it is an 06 gt. I have done some research and most people say the 1.82 first gear is what I should be looking for.

9. TurboComet

There isn't necessarily a right or wrong low gear ratio for street use. The Powerglide has a totally different feel to it on the street as compared to a 3-speed or 4-speed automatic because the Powerglide doesn't offer nearly as much low gear ratio as any other commonly available automatic transmission. You could run a 1.82, 1.80, 1.76, or 1.69 unit all in the same car on the street and realistically never know the difference in terms of part-throttle response or low-speed drivability in low gear.

If you're searching for a good buildable Powerglide core to start with then you absolutely want to AVOID using an OEM 1.82 planetary. This is the weakest Powerglide planetary available, and can fail with sometimes as little as 400 - 500 flywheel horsepower. You'll want to stick with the 1.76 planetary if you're looking to build a 'glide on a budget.

If you're shopping for an aftermarket unit that will put up with some horsepower and abuse then you really can't go wrong with the 1.80 or the 1.69 ratios. I like the 1.69 for a lot of combinations because it gives you that much more room to grow into in terms of managing power and wheel speed at the starting line. That being said, there are plenty of extremely fast cars running a 1.80 ratio without any wheel speed management issues.

10. converturbo

Thank you for the information. I am new to the powerglide and while I wouldn't mind building one from scratch for maintenance purposes in the future I'm timid to tackle the purchasing of indevidual parts from many different vendors. Not to mention without something to go by there can be many oversights on what all is needed. I plan to put out somewhere in the range of 1200-1500hp with the race tune if I can make that happen that is. Street tune would be considerably less. Can you recommend a complete built transmission? Mostly full weight 06 mustang gt, 4.6 with twin 67's.

11. TurboComet

PM sent. Thanks!