1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

TH400 fluid questions

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by bentley429, May 29, 2009.

1. bentley429

Have some questions. First with the trans fresh I used hy guard, that has been in the car for about 100 miles and about 10 transbrake launches. Seems it made the converter to tight so I drained it all out of the trans. The fluid is somewhat metallic but doesn't smell burnt and there are no metal chips. Does this seem normal for a fresh build? Trans shifts real tight doesn't slip. I switched to castrol type F which seemed like it was the other hot ticket being used for years but the more reading I do the more it seems people also like dextron? Also about how often would you say the fluid should be changed. Thanks

Shoot posted this in the wrong section. :doh:

2. 71 cam

I am not sure what your running your th400 behind but if your spooling a turbo I like to change mine 2-3 times a season. You are going to get some very fine metal in the fluid as things break in. If you are starting to get chunks you might be eating something up. For good info on 400's check out Rossler transmissions.com.

3. bentley429

Thank you for the info, its a turbo 302.