1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Does a 87-88 MAF harness fit newer MAF's?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by lousblk01gt, Mar 10, 2003.

1. lousblk01gt

Trying to find a MAF connector but am having trouble doing so. I've seen pigtails for sale but are listed as being for 87-88 conversions from speed density.

So does anybody have an idea if they are compatable with a new sensor?:confused:

2. Traction Issuez

87-88 did not have mass air, they were speed density. The Computer and harness must be switched to a A9L computer with 89-93 engine harness, also need a MAF to complete the job. If you have these parts you can simply plug in a new maf, otherwise, check the classifieds in stangnet, dfwstangs, or corral to locate a harness and computer.
    issuez

3. Underpsi

88 california car had mass air as well.

4. lousblk01gt

The pigtail connectors I've seen are for the conversion of 87-88 speed density cars to mass air. So then these are probably the same as the 89-93.

Still would like to know if this connector would match an 01 sensor? What I would like to do is make an extension for the MAF and not cut the factory harness.:p

5. Traction Issuez

That computer doesn't speak mass air flow, it speaks map sensors for speed density.
    issuez

6. theycallmeburnr

so if you have a 89 mass air computer, you cant use a 88 wiring harness, even if you took the mass air meter stuff from the 89 harness and added it to the 88 harness? kinda confusing, i know, but thats what i was planning on doing.

7. lousblk01gt

The connector I'm talking about is for converting speed density to mass air. So if you have a mass air comp, then all you need is the wiring for the MAF.

What I'm still trying to figure out is if a Fox MAF connector will work with my 01 sensor.:confused:

8. theycallmeburnr

oh ok i was just wondering b/c i have an 89 computer, 88 wires, and the MAF from the 89 computer.

9. Superskwrl

Judging by the other posts in this thread you are askin if the plug on the 89-93 and the 01 etc plugs are the same, than answer is no, try lookin for info regarding lightning MAF because i think there is a way to use the lightning MAF in a fox.
    If your only lookin for the connector to make the wire longer its ok to cut it and soldier it to the desired length.
    I'd assume the lightning connector and the 01 style mustang connector are the same but am unsure, you could aslo contact pro m and they'd proably know all the answers to your questions.

As for the 87/88 thing they didn't have massair unless they had cal emissions and even some cars from cal didn't have the conversions because i know a guy with a 88 saleen that is/was speed density, the reason you see them listed is because they are sellin it as part of a MAF conversion,

Good Luck

10. lousblk01gt

That pretty much answers my question. Your right, the connector I was referring to was part of the convertion kit.

I have an e-mail in to Pro-M but haven't heard anything. I'm calling them tomorrow too see if they have what I need.

11. MORA

have any pics of your car?

12. lousblk01gt

You mean my car?

:bling:

13. Traction Issuez

just as a heads up, the pro-m conversion to mass air kits are like $400 without the computer, if that's what you're trying to do, just get a MAF harness out to the classifieds for $50.