1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

TFS 2v or convert to 4v

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by RoadconeTuning, Sep 22, 2009.

1. RoadconeTuning

I'm sure this has been asked on here or someone has tried it before but which is the better route? Te trickflow heads are flowing 240cfm out of te box and 265 with a quick handport.

My goal was to make 400 n/a with a 2v but after getting on here I might go turbo or 4v.

I'm just trying to figure out the costs involved with either setup. I'm building this engine out of the car from a bare aluminum block so I have to buy a front cover and everything.

2. 99TTGT

4 valve is the way to go..

3. 96Tangg

I have a 2 valve I am finishing now. BUT, if I didnt start with one and had to obtain all the parts from scratch....I would go 4 valve. Your power goals are much easier to obtain both NA and/or Forced induction that way.
    Good Luck

4. RoadconeTuning

hmm, well i was hoping to re-use what i could from my GT... i've currently got BBK Ceramic Coated Longtubes, JLT Intake, and if need be possibly reuse my P.I. intake should i run low on funds...

as for the 4v build, how much of the engine harness is different, are the ECU's even the same?

I've yet to find an actual true comparison of B-Heads vs C-Heads either...

5. Blackbob

4v all the way !

6. RoadconeTuning

could someone point me towards some flowbench numbers then?

Just trying to see the difference between the B and C heads. I do keep seeing where people cut and shorten the B-head intake but i've not seen a reason or proof that it actually does anything good. I'm sure that threads exist on this stuff but i fail at using the search function here...

*EDIT*
    I just did some googling and ran across some numbers. looks like its going to be C heads for me. Now to figure out what all is different between a 2v and 4v as far as making it work in the car. :doh:

7. blown99

The exhaust ports are different so your headers will not bolt up. You can use the stock 2 valve ecm and tune it. Not 100% sure if you can turn on the imrc's with the stock 2 valve computer. I know the functions are listed in my 2v ecm (CDAN4) for them.

8. RoadconeTuning

i've decided to go with either C heads or 03/04 cobra heads should i go 4v. It looks to me that the B-heads are just WAYYYYY too big for a N/A motor currently. im not ballin' so i cant throw a pair of 76's at it or anything... also not having to deal w/ getting IMRC delete plates or dealing w/ tuning the IMRC's or shortening the runners.

right now its looking like 99 Cobra heads w/ the FR500 cam kit and whatever intake i can get my hands on to fit on it. the only sucky thing ive seen so far is that i can only pull about 10.5:1 compression w/ off the shelf pistons unless i do a stroker which i have yet to see to show any benefits.

9. big dave

No benefits from a stroker???

TQ would be the key benefit. Not sure I would spend the money to go stroker if I were building a boosted application but for an NA setup, it would be a noticeable difference. There are plenty of high CR pistons out there for NA setups. Hell - I think MMR has a "shelf piston" of their own design any way that is 12.X:1... I know they have several options as do others. People have made big power with all the 4v heads really. I think ideally the C heads are what you should look for BUT if you found a smokin deal on all the parts needed for a B head setup - I don't think I would avoid it by any means.

10. PrecisionTurboMustang

Are the tfs heads actually shipping now?

11. chromeyellow

yup, dyno #s seem to be coming along. one of the modularfords threads said about 10% gains over heavily port/polished 2v heads, with everything else being the same. will be kinda neat to see the difference with a set of cams designed for those heads.

12. RoadconeTuning

trickflow supposedly made like 401 on an engine dyno w/ a stock shortblock and their Stage 2 cams w/ the TFS intake manifold... they were turning more rpm on stock rods and rodbolts than i felt was safe tho.

IIRC one guy made 360 when his ported PI heads made 330 on a stock shortblock N/A... seems very promising but again. turning 6500-6700 seems sketchy on a stock shortblock to me.

BTW, i've yet to find an off the shelf aftermarket piston for the TFS heads. I emailed Manley and Diamond about them on monday and ive yet to recieve a response.

13. 03SVTCOBRA10TH

FYI, FR500 am kit is now discontinued and sold out, Tuesly Ford bought the last 16 kits and sold out of them in 2 days. I got the last 2 kits they had. If you really need a kit let me know, also if you need a good set of 03 cobra c heads I might be able to help also.

IMHO, I would just stay 2v and go with the TFS set up, w/ custom pistons, it will be a lot cheaper and flow almost the same, especially if you go turbo.

What are your HP goals and purpose for the car drag, X-cross, daily driver???

14. RoadconeTuning

i've been looking around more and more and it looks like the trickflow setup really is the best bet considering im going to attempt and do a weekend engine swap as this is my only vehicle.

400whp n/a daily driver that will see the track from time to time. i think its possible, its deff going to have some chop to it but im pretty sure it can be pulled off. My buddy has a GTO using a stock Z06 cam and some decked and ported stock LS1 heads from AI and full boltons... the car made 429 w/ a stock LS1 cam at the tires, we expect 450 with the Z06 cam. i know that im comparing a 346 to a 281 but im hoping my goal of 7500rpm and 400whp is possible... im thinking that E85 is going to help me a lot in that.

I already get like 16mpg driving my car around being full bolt-ons and having a 4.10 w/ 315/35R17 BFG Drags on 17x10.5" bullets so the mileage hit isnt going to suck as much as some think it will either.

15. chromeyellow

Are you thinking of Ed with the yellow automatic? He has a stock shortblock, but its a teksid from a mark VIII or Cobra, which is why he feels that he is safe with the extra rpms (7k redline iirc?)

16. 96Tangg

Hey if you have the 2 valve already you can obtain your goals of 400HP with it. MMR and modular in Ga. have done a lot of good work with heads cams etc. call them up and talk with them you should be able to do what you want if you plan it out right. Besides everyone always writes off a 2 valve whenyou open the hood.

GL

17. RoadconeTuning

I've already got an aluminum explorer block that i got from Steve Shrader, 600+hp 2v gt out of Mount Holly NC, which to me looks very similar to the FRPP block my friend built a few years back.

well, if i go w/ a 2v then im back at the Cast GT crank or Forged cobra crank issue... i'd rather run the GT crank since its a good bit lighter but im not sure it'll hold up to the RPM AND the eventual nitrous combined....

also FWIW, i emailed Trickflow yesterday asking for some info about how much extra valve clearance their heads off and if they know of anyone making an aftermarket piston that works with their heads. no response as of yet.

18. trueblue02

I would just stick with the cast crank for what you are goin to do it will be fine. you should get the throws cut down on it, lighten it up make it rev a little faster bags knows a guy that may be able to do it.