1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Firearm thread..

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by Kellyo77, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Kellyo77

How about a dedicated firearm thread?

There seem to be several of us that are into guns. Talk about them in here. I'll start.

So I was looking around on the FN website mainly at the Five-seveN. Kinda odd looking and fires an odd round(5.7x28mm). Looks like a small rifle cartridge. But there is something about it that is interesting. Maybe it's the oddness of the thing I don't know.
    http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?...3&categorySelector=5&detail=&cHash=b5dcbec1bd
    Anyone have any experience with it?

BTW, you should look around on their site. There is all kinds of cool zombie killing, end of the world kinda stuff on there.

2. RI85GT

3. Briansshop

Two of my buds each bought one of those recently. Feels like a toy in your hand!

4. MONTEGOD7SS

They are toys in my mind. Yeah, you could kill somebody with one, but you could do that with a ball bat, tire iron, or your bare hands even. They have pretty similar power to a 22 Magnum, which falls WELL below what I consider my limit for personal protection. As a range gun they are fun as hell. We used to shoot them 100-120yrd at metal silhouette targets and you really didn't have to hold it over at all. Ammo is expensive, especially when you consider you will shoot a hell of a lot more when you have a 20rd mag instead of a 7rd .45 pistol. Everything is plastic on it except for the barrel liner I believe, and that makes it very light. Recoil is next to nothing since it has next to nothing in power. What are you wanting to use it for?

5. livefast1

I would get a pmr30 before i bought a 5.7. Mainly due to the cost of the gun AND the ammo. Plus ammo availability.

6. turbofreek

x2 I would never buy something that would be hard to get ammo for in a crisis.

7. Kellyo77

I wasn't looking at it from a protection standpoint. Just as a "it's a neat concept" kinda thing. I didn't realize it was that small of a caliber, to be honest.
    FN's other handguns looked pretty good as well. I have probably seen them at the gun shows, just never paid attention to them.
    I like the polymer frame/tactical type guns.
    The next gun show I go to, I will look a little harder. I want a new CCW. Preferably a .40. Polymer frame. Just can't decide on which one.

Edit: I will update what I am looking for. Poly frame, .40cal, threaded barrel availability as well as other upgrades. I want to be able to customize to suit me the best. No I am not planning to become
    a cleaner or some shit. I just want a pistol that I know will not let me down. Ever. That I am completely familiar and comfortable with and will be as accurate as possible(given the human error factor).

I have grown up around guns. Had them all my life. Hell, I have 7 different ones in the room I'm in now. I just haven't kept up with a lot of the newer handguns that have come out in the past few years. I'm trying to re acclimate myself to the newer bigger better stuff. Tactical weapons have had a huge surge in popularity in the past few years. I am interested in getting one (or more) I just don't know which way to go. I have heard of and seen and shot a ton of them. Just not sure what I like the best.

8. stangman9897

It has more power than you think it does. I know somebody that bought one and i would not put it in the same class as a 22 mag.it has a lot more than that.

5.7x28.jpg #ad

9. yellowpony

Check out para ordnance. They have some nice tactical guns on their site. I personally have their 1911 .45 in special ops finish with wood grips. I am looking into their carry 9 or the 9 PDA. The only thing I have found is you have to fire quality rounds, or they will jam.

Anthony

10. stangman9897

IMO One of the best carry guns on the market.

large_ultra_cdp_II.jpg #ad

11. oso

You sure about that? I would definitely not consider them toys at all, they're assault rifle rounds in a pistol...

I've shot them a few times and plan on picking one up as a carry piece when I'm done with my car... the sound they emit when fired is probably enough to scare the shit out of people without even having to hit them with the bullets.

12. MONTEGOD7SS

At most they have 400ft-lb of energy, and only a 23-31gr bullet. They use standard .224cal bullets, same exact size as a .223/5.56, or .22 Mag for that matter. Out of a rifle they might be a little more powerful, but not even on the same planet as even a .223. In the end they are toys and range guns, and there's no way I would treat one as anything other than that.

There is a 0% change I would use one for carry, and even you mentioning that the sound of a gun scaring someone scares me. You don't brandish, you don't give warning shots, you put two in their chest and find cover. The only 5.7 ammo you can readily get is SS195LF (225ft-lb) and SS197SR (256ft-lb) with the former being hollow point and latter being a Hornady VMAX varmint bullet. Neither of these are even remotely what you would want to defend your life unless you are super human and can put an aimed shot in a moving persons eye socket, while you are looking for cover and being shot at at the same time.

I think I'll stick with my .38 or .45, and leave the little varmint rounds for busting cans of soup at the range.

13. GangBang Malloy

the SS190 round (5.7x28mm) is pretty much a armor defeating round that was made for a handgun and submachine gun. its a small high speed (around 2300-2800 but realistically only 2000 ft per sec.) round that works a lil different from the typical 9 and .45 rounds. the ss190 based round does better than the .22 mag where it can push a heavier round at the same or slightly higher speed depending on which variation of the round u can legally buy.

the SS190 can be viscious if its a hollow point where it will prolly break up pretty bad inside a soft target with a slight chance some fragments still coming out the exit end due to its high speed. granted if u use the normal full jacketed rounds against a soft target then it will just come out the other end and do little to stop the target.

so if u can get over the price and the availibilty of these nice rounds they do pretty good but just remember...

jacketed vs kevlar wearing bank robbers (even though i doubt u can get the original SS190 rounds due to legal issues)

&

hollow points vs personal defense and typical soft targets (SS197)

14. MONTEGOD7SS

That is WAY much to have to worry about for a defense round. Maybe this one will expand, maybe it will poke a .22 call hole through them like poking them with a stick would. Momentum gets through soft objects and people, not energy. Against a hard object speed and small frontal area help, but I don't run around worrying about getting robbed by somebody wearing level III body armor. In the end it just isn't safe to consider it anything more than a range toy, but a pretty awesome range toy!

What I wanted to do was build a Mauser actioned varmint gun that shoots 5.7x28, but with the price of ammo I have decided a 5.45x39 would be a much better and cheaper option for vermin eradication.

15. RI85GT

So Monte, what's your opinion again?

:rolleyes:

16. MONTEGOD7SS

Same as everybody else, just different. :D

17. PEARL MUSSIN

I Carry a Glock 26 daily (9mm) the Glock 27 is the small .40 cal. Best gun out there for carry IMO...

Jeremy

18. MONTEGOD7SS

Once I get my reloading gear set back up I'm contemplating a G29. Until then, the ole .38 snubby will have to do. One HUGE advantage of 9mm, .40, .45, and to a lesser extent .357 Sig is that you can get true tier 1 ammo like HSTs, Ranger Ts, and Gold Dots (not the lame civie stuff for cheap. A box of HST will only run you about $35 for 50, compare that to a 20rd box of unproven marketing hype bullets from Hornady, Speer, or Cor-Bon.

19. flash

10mm Glock.

20. RI85GT