1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Anyone running turbos on a stock 100K shortblock?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by WhiteLX, May 13, 2003.

1. WhiteLX

My shortblock has around 100K on it now. Its not showing any signs of letting up, but then again I haven't done a leakdown on it either. However it doesn't burn any oil and still has good oil pressure. It has had synthetic run through it since 3000 miles.

I was thinking about building a twin turbo system with the two Ford/Garrett .60/.63 T3s I have. I would like to make in the neighborhood of 400-450rwhp. Am I playing with fire here?

I'll probably pick up another block at some point and build a new shortblock for it.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. TwinTurboStrokr

Go for it..

She'll hold on just fine in the 400rwhp range, imo.

Seen a couple cars around here get Incon kits installed with high miles one with 113,000, the other with 127,000, both cars are daily drivers and still going as far as I know.

3. Underpsi

Who isn't?

4. Barry D.

ditto
    my stock shortblock has about 100,000 miles and has been at 530rwhp for about 11 months now. it's all in the tune - to a point anyways...but you can only expect so much w/ this many miles and this much power for almost a year (i've been wondering for a while now when it would blow up).

5. 19COBRA93

My long block has about 150K on it and still going strong.

6. 10seclx

yeah I am gonna be putting a turbo setup on my 250K kms short block which is about 100K miles. so we will see how long till it grenades.

7. Turbostangman

Ummmm, it's actually over 150K, and I am!!

Do a compression test at the least. :tu:

8. Bobo

:withstu: :loll:

9. 10seclx

what kind of #'s are you stock shortblockers running?? boost wise and hp wise??

10. Turbo Matt

1993 block, 111,000 miles, ITS stageII kit, Bone stock (never removed the valve covers), with a cobra upper/lower intake, 42's, 255lph fuel pump, MSD 6al-BTM, 10 psi. Still running good (well except for the idleing problems:confused: )
    403hp at the wheels
    473ftlbs at the wheels

ET Streets
    12.13 1/4
    114.00mph
    1.88 lazy 60-ft.
    Atlanta dragway

Cooper street tires
    12.30 1/4
    116mph
    1.93 60-ft.
    Local 1/4 mile track

11. 10seclx

nice #'s keep em comming!

12. 19COBRA93

Stock cobra motor (except F-cam and ARP head bolts), over 140k miles. #'s in sig are at 12 lbs.

I am now running 15 lbs on pump gas with the help of alcohol injection (SMC). I haven't run the car yet or had it dyno'd with this setup, but it sure feels a lot faster.

And this is my daily driver.

13. turbojunkie

Go for it man. Hell at least if you blow it up you'll only be out about what $600 for a used short block or $1500 for the DSS rebuilt block. Not to mention everyone needs to grenade a bottom end at least once. Its good experience!!

14. 10seclx

thats what I say, who cares blow it up, as long as it don't do anythig to my heads, I could care less.. dropp a new on in for a couple hundred bucks and do it all again.....WHEEEEEE!!!!!!BOOM!

15. Barry D.

that is my exact philosophy, it can blow up, just hopefully it won't take out the heads or turbos - don't even mind if it takes the cam. i feel that if i get 1 year (like i have now) of use out of this power per $300 cheap used shortblock, i'm more than happy. it isn't like i grenaded some fancy motor in a stock block, it was a piece of crap to begin with that happened to give me tons of enjoyment for 1 year so far and put a whippin' on a ton of cars here locally so i won't be upset when it goes.

16. 10seclx

exactally, but I am running the stcok cam, so I have nothing ot worry about, blow it up even more! the bigger the bang the better!:rockon: