1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Target boost?

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by davepl, Aug 7, 2016.

1. davepl

I'm building a 502 BBC with twin GT45s (all eBay cheap stuff, except the motor itself). I'm starting with 16psi wastegates, but then I realized that might not be the smartest move. So I thought I should describe the motor and see what people think. From my reading of Maximum Boost it looks like I should be good, but those are just charts.

Engine: Stock ZZ502 short block and cam
    Heads: Trick Flow 340 rect port
    Intake: Hogan sheet metal, short runner
    Compression: 8.0 : 1
    Turbos: GT45
    Intercooler: Air-Water
    Fuel: 110 octane
    Injectors: 85# Siemens
    Computer: BS3

My plan it just to build it and dyno it and tune it as a learning experience. Secretly I'd like it to make 1000hp but don't think it would, so I'll be happy with 1000 ftlbs if I can get it. There's no car in it's future unless it runs hard and well on the dyno, then maybe I'd find something to put it in.

IMG_4331.jpg #ad

2. Byrdman11

Hard to tell but I would start say 8lb Spring and a manual boost controll for the engine dyno. U can always change spring.
    Stock bottom end 502 1000hp not sure about that engine.

3. 302tt

The angle on those turbos looks a little weird. Chance of a turbine side oil leak could be higher with them not being horizontal. Just a watch out.

4. davepl

Good eye, one of them is upside down. I was flipping them around to see if I could face both intakes inward and then noticed the oil feed/drain isn't symmetrical, so the passenger side turbo has to be flipped.

5. T6Rocket

You can have the intakes both pointing inwards if you want, just have to rotate the center section.

Those flanges need rotated a little and re-welded on so the oil flange is point down. They might not drain well otherwise. They still are not optimal as I can see they are rotated in two directions, might be hard to square them up like they need to be.

Also agree on the 8 lb WG spring. You can turn it up as needed with a boost controller. It is not an exact science - that 16 psi spring may net 20 psi.

Al

6. M&M Turbochargers

i was thinking those headers only came in the t3 flange ,, could be wrong though ,, when switching to t4 flange id get them straightened out