1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Tapping aftermarket pan?

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by D347643, Apr 16, 2006.

1. D347643

Hey guys I have a 7 qt rear sump Canton pan and I can't find any info on how to tap it. I tried searching but nobody has posted any relevant links for doing it. The aftermarket pan seems to have thinner metal than stock. Does this matter?

Post any links if you can, please.

Thanks,
    Drew

2. Wanderer

Since it's not in, you might be better off welding in an AN bung instead of tapping it. Otherwise, I would think that you'd need to weld a plate to the existing pan just to have enough metal to thread when you tap it.

But really all you're doing is drilling a hole and slowly screwing a thread tap into the metal. The fun part is making sure it's straight and you don't strip it in the process.

3. TimmieG

Best thing to do if its still off the car is to weld a nut to where you plan on putting the fitting , Like use a 1/2" npt nut - weld it on and use a 1/2" npt to -10 flare or whatever and just screw it on. that way if you need to remove the line one day you can just use a 1/2" nut to seal the hole.

as of where to put the holes..might wanna download the instructions for a supercharger install or if you could a TT install from one of the manufacturers.

4. D347643

the pan is in the car, anyone tried welding something on the pan with it like that? anyone have any links to tapping the pan?

5. 88Keith306

i have the same pan and i am still figuring out how to do this as well.

i think i may end up using JB weld lol.

6. D347643

yeah but how are you gonna make the hole? I think im going to just follow the standard procedure of using punches and then try to tap it? as long as I can some sort of threads going I think ill be good to go. Im going to use some Belzona to seal it up so its permanent.

Drew

7. White9T2GT

If the pan is already on I would try using the punch method.

8. hybred

what kind of motor? what i'm thinking of doing (a few have done before) is using the area for the mechanical fuel pump as a return port. on my timming cover there is a boss for the mechaincal pump. it's sealed off. just puch it threw and then put the fitting(s) on the block off plate and bolt it on. there is plenty of metal to drill and tap the block off plate too. :2thumbs:

9. D347643

that'd work pretty well for a drivers side nounted turbo but how about a pass mounted one? Does anybody have a link to a writeup on the punch/tap method?

thanks

Drew

10. TurboShortBus

I pirated this from an instruction manual from "Brand V."

Mark

OilPanPunch01.jpg #ad

11. TurboShortBus

And oh yeah, I got those instructions from "Brand V's" WEBSITE. Poke around a little on the net.

Mark