1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Taking Tial 38mm WG Apart? Loose Upper "Dome"

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 92GreenGT, Sep 20, 2011.

1. 92GreenGT

Taking Tial 38mm WG Apart? Loose Upper "Dome"

Ever since I've had this Tial 38mm wg it's had some rotation on the upper part(say the polished section) in relation to the metal base. I e-mailed Tial about it and they said I could send it in and they would tighten the nut or something along those lines and it would be ok, I never done this because the wg worked fine and you could only tell it was loose whem you tried to spin it with your hand. I pulled it off the car this morning because I've been having issues controlling boost so I was wondering how hard it would be to remove the diaphragm and tighten this nut myself, anyone ever done it? I've changed springs in them before but never went any further than that. Thanks

2. 92GreenGT

Re: Taking Tial 38mm WG Apart? Loose Upper "Dome"

Ok, took it apart and found the nut. Looks like this thing has a small set screw that holds the nut tight and mine has either backed out or was never tightened. To really tighten the set screw and put the diaphragm back on the spring seat I'm going to have to fully disassemble the WG. It looks like the spring seat is held on by roll pins or something in an X pattern up top but I'm going to search around online to see if I can find a diagram of how they go together just to be sure.

Also, how does the diaphragm come out, I don't want to pull on it wrong and have it rip. Thanks

-Edit-
    It just pulls out fairly easy although it's fairly hard to put it back around the spring base, hehe. I guess that's why they want you to send it in but I used a small dull pick and done it like a tire machine puts a tire on a wheel and it worked out pretty good. Also found a small enough allen wrench to get in there and lock the set screw down, so all in all it wasn't too bad of a job and everything is back together and working good. :2thumbs: