1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Taking off incon turbos in car. What tools do/did you use?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 94cobra2615, Oct 8, 2004.

1. 94cobra2615

I'd like to change heads and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what tools they used to get the manifold bolts out.

It seems it would be ideal to get a 1/4" drive 3/8 socket, but it has to be 12 point......which I dont have in 1/4" drive.

2. twinturbostang

I just did it a couple weeks ago. You need the Incon recommended Snap-On socket. It's a 1/4" drive, 3/8 12pt socket with built in swivel. Use that and a variety of extensions. Also need a 12 pt. 3/8" wrench. I have a couple that have various "bends" on the end of them. Some are flat, some slightly bent, to get at the drivers side middle bolts. It takes some patience, but it can be done. Oh, you have to lift the motor about 2" on the side you're working on to get the turbo units out. Leave the other side engine mount secure. Loosen the side you're working on, and then lift the engine 2". Lower back down, tighten engine mount, then do the other side same way.

3. 94cobra2615

Just got finished.

I ended up using only a 3/8" wrench for the whole thing. Took awhile.

I had all the accessories off and the turbos came right out without lifting the engine. I have solid motor mounts, so I think it would be difficult to lift just one side without bending them.

I will definately look into getting the snap-on socket. Thanks.

4. twinturbostang

Cool. I've always had to lift the motor to get them out. But maybe I didn't remove the accessories first. Using the socket definitely speeds things up for the bolts that you can get to with it. It's still a LONG process, but every little bit helps!

5. TwinTurboStrokr

Wow!! That must have taken awhile..

I couldn't pull either of mine off while the assembly was in the car.

6. Steed93

I think you guys are crazy. I have taken the driver side head off before, but the passanger side would be a PITA. I would think it would be harder to install the turbos and get them tightened down before the RTV sets. I believe I have blown a head gasket, but I am going to pull the engine just to make sure everything is OK. Good winter project.