1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Found an alternative to the stock Incon Actuators:

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 93PONY, Mar 3, 2007.

1. 93PONY

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/m...OD&Product_Code=ATP-WGT-022&Category_Code=WGT

Just replaced my stock Incon Actuators with these.

Direct bolt-in swap.
    Preloaded them to 1/2 to 2/3 hole & saw 16psi on the T-brake at 4500RPM.
    That's 7-8psi more than I saw with the stockers preloaded at 3/4 hole.
    With more pleloading I'm confident these things will go past 20psi.
    Not bad for $59 each...& they keep the *stock* look. :)

2. xlr8a4d

Good find man,at least I know if /when I build a good block motor I have some options.

These are supposed to work also.

incon-actuators.jpg #ad

3. 93PONY

I was gonna get those Forge units, but they're a bit expensive. $150 each I believe....& last time on their site I couldn't find them, but other similar pieces were $199 each.

The car made 19.5psi tonight at WOT. Hit 18 instantly, then creeped up to 19.5 & stayed there. I'll probably back these things off a little bit.

4. mfpmax

Yeah the forge are a pretty penny, but of course its got interchangable springs, its CNCed, etc.

5. Scones

6. 93PONY

That's the same unit I have, only with the 'low boost' spring. No more adjustable than the stock units or the ones I just bought. The ForgeMotorsport ones are turely adjustable by preloading the inner wastegate spring. (much like an adjustable fuel pressure regulator)

Preloading the wastegates by adjusting the rod length only goes so far. With the stockers I either saw 12-13psi (1 hole preload to 1/2 inch preload), or 20+psi (more than 1/2 inch preload)....nothing in between. & the 20+ was dangerous as the wastegates were nearly 'wired shut'. Running the wastegates like this can cause damage to the turbos. Ideally you want an actuator that starts to open at the desired pressure & has lots of arm movement to open up the wastegates as necessary. Running more than 12-13psi on the stock actuators ment limiting the arm movement of the wastegates so much that they barely opened at full boost. This brings on boost creep & was the reason I could not get less than 20+psi. There's a fine-line I couldn't find.

The new ones have lots of arm movement & start to open at 18psi. So it's a more stable 18+psi....no more worries about boost creep or excessivly high back pressure from having the wastegates 'wired shut'. (which can ultimately lead to turbo failure)

7. 61falconman

I'm pretty sure I've seen the Forge units on eBay once in a while for around $100-120. If you're using an internal wastegate, they are probably the best actuator available for the price.

8. Scones

doesn't anyone use bleeder valves or gillis valves for controlling boost anymore lol

9. Grey93TT

Those Forge units look awesome. I looked on their site but didnt see them??? Are they also direct bolt ons?

:)

10. 93PONY

I couldn't find them last time on their site either.
    I was going to call Forge & see if they still had them in stock, or if they were special order items now.
    But I found the other units from a company I've had great luck with & thought I'd give those a try first. Every time I place an order with ATP the parts show up the next day.

11. mfpmax

12. 91redmustang

Great find... thanks! 93pony any pictures of you car???

13. Grey93TT

So I sent an email to Forge directly asking if they still made the FMAC048 etc, here is their reply:

"We certainly do. However, that part number is used to designate a custom part, we would need information on how you need it built. Rod length, spring rate, bracket design, etc. will all affect the price and lead time required to manufacture it. Please let me know if you have any further questions."

Does anyone got the specs he is asking for offhand?

:D

14. 93PONY

Here's one from last time at the track.

Tons more pics from recent track outings here:
    www.raccoonracing.com/pics/Sac Raceway

The only thing different from street trim is the wheels/tires. I run stock 93 Cobra wheels on the street.

15. 91redmustang

Nice... very nice. Is everyone still running the front swaybar? I want to reinstall one on my car and need to know if the intercooler will hit it?