1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

" T " pipe . Twin-Turbo charge pipe . ( ? )

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by 724QuikFast, Nov 22, 2018.

1. 724QuikFast

I'm wondering if i " T " from one turbo into the other turbos charge pipe, would it be okay?

How 'bout a little more technicality and ask: What if it was in "y" shape but pointed against the flow ?

I'm assuming it would be okay since all the air is being force-fed into the engine no matter how it's pressurized.

Real questions.

2. Boost Engineer

If I am understanding you correctly, would not be so good.

If you have a large Plenum and you face the discharge pipes across from each other the two air streams "bang into" each other,
    (one air stream may be slightly stronger vs the other, as the turbo speeds are never exactly the same), BUT the VELOCITY energy coming out of the pipes basically cancels out and the mass of air spreads out evenly over the whole plenum so that all of the cylinders are getting close to the same air density.

I really need a picture of your current installation so that I can visualize what you are trying to do.

Tom V.

3. 91turboterror

I don’t think it’s gonna work too well if you T it or run it in a y configuration against the flow. A y configuration with the flow or 2 into 1 intercooler would be your best bet

4. 724QuikFast

Very similar to what you can imagine in this picture :
    I mean, after all.. pressure is pressure, right ? If it sees it, it gets it, yeah ? Maybe i answered my own question.

[​IMG]#ad

5. Boost Engineer

I think you are on the right idea that a bit of higher pressure is better than a bit of lower pressure BUT, a engine makes power based on MASS FLOW to the engine. MASS FLOW is what you need to be concerned about.
    That means a induction system that allows the proper amount of MASS FLOW into the engine for the power you want to make.

You can have 10 psi in a hose from a basket ball pump to a basketball and you can have 10 psi from a Turbocharger to a intake manifold flowing thru a 3" pipe. Which system (Hose or Pipe do you think would make more power feeding a engine?

90 degree corners in pipes cause air turbulence which reduces mass flow. You want nice smooth bends and transitions so that the flow is there with the smallest area possible.

You could make all the piping 6" in diameter but now your throttle response to the engine from the turbo would really be poor.
    Eventually the flow would catch up and go to the engine. A 6" pipe would be like a accumulator or a barrel. You are trying to feed the engine a given amount of mass flow in a minute. Pumping the air into a 55 gallon barrel would just cause the response time to be much longer. Same deal for a 6" pipe vs a 3" pipe. Kind of like two Drag Cars on strip. One car can do a 60 ft time in 1.19 seconds.The other one takes 2.1 seconds. Which one will win the Street Outlaws race.
    You want the most mass flow with the shortest time to get into the engine.

Tom V.

6. Disney Lincoln

Engines don't make more power due to increased "boost". They make more power due to increased airflow.

flyinhillbilly likes this.
  7. flyinhillbilly

That’s it in a nutshell. Boost isn’t a measure of power, but rather a measure of restriction.

8. 724QuikFast

Excessive airflow increases pressure. Creating "boost".
    Turbos "boost" the airflow.

9. Disney Lincoln

Ok, you've convinced me. Now go build it and report back with your record setting results.

10. Boost Engineer

If you are saying in your statement "Turbos Boost the Airflow" and mean that any boosting device that increases the MASS FLOW of air thru the engine (when you add the proper fuel ratio to it) will make more power is a true statement.
    And as flyinghillbilly posted A reading on a boost gage is just a measurement of restriction in the intake system.

I know people with engines having 540 cid and 12 psi of "boost pressure" that make a lot more power vs a 200 cid 4 cylinder engine
    running 38 psi of boost pressure. You have to look at the whole combination of parts.

Tom V.

11. 724QuikFast

I like that because when at W.O.T. my vacuum gauge normally reads around 10HG/In . which i believe will be interesting because when the turbo does it's magic and i'm at 5psi it will feel like i'm getting 15psi. Because of the intake restriction. (?i think i got the correct.)

12. Boost Engineer

When you are at WOT, Naturally Aspirated or with Boost your vacuum gage should be near zero inches of vacuum.
    Not 10 inches of vacuum. I would suggest that you buy a proper Boost Gage before you assume anything else.
    TV

13. Disney Lincoln

This thread is in the wrong forum. Should be moved to Newbie and Basic Tech. It's hard to imagine a more remedial subject and discussion than this one, and it's taking place in the "Advanced" tech forum.

65ShelbyClone likes this.
  14. flyinhillbilly

I think it needs a custom turbo cam.

Disney Lincoln likes this.
  15. 724QuikFast

I'm going to try it anyway. I can always change it up later and most likely will.

[​IMG]#ad

(EDIT: changed to better pic)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  16. 91turboterror

Do it twice and make it nice lol! Your gonna do double the work to make the revision why not do it the correct way in the first place. You could have clocked the outlet towards the left and used a mandrel 180 and y it into the long piece of tubing going across the front

17. Boost Engineer

Based on the picture provided, I can ASSUME that the turbo discharge is going into the 'T" where the air bangs off the back wall of the "T"
    and the loops around to cross over the front of the engine area.

1) It appears that the opposite pipe on the "T" goes to a By-pass valve. Under cruise modes this by-pass would be dumping air into the engine compartment with some air passing thru the other pipe to feed the engine airflow.

2) Most people, as suggested by 91turboterror, would re-clock the compressor cover and have the air from the turbo point towards the left side of the engine. The cross-over pipe would be higher on the engine. The By-pass valve would be at the location where the pipe would go to the throttlebody or the carb bonnet. A complete engine picture would help a lot vs guessing on these things.

3) You have provided very little info on the whole plumbing system. Why not take a few more pics and we can discuss more after that happens.

Tom V.

724QuikFast likes this.
  18. Boost Engineer

It would be nice if you could add a Dual Inlet / single outlet Inter-cooler to your project.

The the pipes could go downward to the inlets of the inter-cooler, the air would flow upward thru the inter-cooler, and then exit to a throttle body mounted on the engine thru a single large pipe. Based on the size of your turbos you could probably get away with a single large 50mm By-pass/dump valve mounted on the pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body. Assuming a EFI car. Same Plumbing for a Blow thru carb and bonnet though. With the small turbos you really do not need a large water to Air Inter-cooler inside the vehicle.

Tom V.

724QuikFast likes this.
  19. 724QuikFast

I'll provide more info later.
    Need to go pick up the oil lines at the post office.
    I will say the turbines are a .63 and the compressors are 50.55 millimeters.
    Hoping they make at least 5psi. The engine is 3.8 V6 . 1.9L per bank.
    If it makes no boost i will be trying a compound boost setup of the compressors and hope for a gnarly blow-off sound.

20. Boost Engineer

Each turbo should be able to move 40 pounds of air mass at the center of the Compressor map. S200SX Compressor Map.jpg #ad

(see map attached) one pound of air makes 10 HP. So each turbo is a 400 hp turbo. People have run 9s with a pair of turbos like those in the 1980s time frame with 231 cid engines. .

724QuikFast and flyinhillbilly like this.