1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Valve seals on the exhaust valve keeping pusing up?

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by sho_92, Jul 11, 2007.

1. sho_92

I have AFR 185s on my 342 8.5 to 1 comp motor. the exhaust valve seals keep pushing up. why is this. I just looked at my stock heads and they had the same problem. (on the 185's) I had the valve guids redone and replaced the valve seals by a good machine shop and i even replaced the valve seals again 3rd set and they keep pushing up. also it did it on the factory set to. I have only had this problem since i put the turbo on. the stock heads where on a factory stock engine + turbo and had the same problem. My turbo kit is a B&G trubo kit with 750 horse intercooler and percsion 70mm gts turbo with .81 exhaust housing.

2. sho_92

no one else has this problem

3. testchimp

My guess would be the boost is pushing the seals up. I wouldn't worry about it, some guys don't even run seals on the exhaust, I think i heard that it lubes the valve guide better and you only get a small puff on startup.

4. sho_92

It burns more oil then just on start up like when its running and idling and a cloud starts forming out of my exhaust and you have to rev it up a couple of time to get rid of it. I pushed them back down and the burning oil goes away but im sure there gonna pop up again. Its only on the exhaust the intake valve seals are fine. could it be to much back pressure form the turbo backing up the exhaust.

5. red95gts

How long ago did you have the valve guides replaced? Did you check valvetrain geometry at that time? What pushrod length?

Sounds like the guides could be worn.

6. ShaneH

What type of seals did you use when you replaced them? The stock AFR rubber seals, teflon, or viton? I would only use viton on a turbo app.

7. sho_92

I had all the parts replaced within 1000 miles valve guids and seals. I had the heads off the car within 200 miles of all the use when the valve seals pushed up and had them replaced again. The valve seals where braned new from afr not sure on the type. I watched the guy put them on and open the package from afr. and the push rods are the right length. when the heads where factory from afr i had a super charger running 12lbs and and the seals didn't push up but when i put the turbo on they pushed up within 200 miles of haveing it on. thanks for the insight