1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

switch from steel to aluminum inntercooler pipe

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by hazy, Dec 28, 2008.

1. hazy

I was thinking of switching my intercooler piping to aluminum. how much weight could i save? originally ran steel because I only had a mig welder. now finaly got my tig :welder:

2. Pontiac4ever

Alum. is roughly 1/3 the weight of steel. So if you can figure out what you have now weighs then divide that by 3 and you'll be in the ball park. Assuming you replace it with the same dia. and wall thickness tubing.

Craig

3. allmotor65stang

whats the difference in running the alum and mild steel pipes?is the alum gonna help keep heat down.

4. D ABLO

thanks for the info guys :2thumbs:

5. hazy

Yeah what he said :cheers:

6. jim wingo

i run steel, because thats what i can weld, lol-but i coat them with the header coatings, poor mans chrome, and their right up the street from me
    then i read an article on header coatings, how the temp off the headers was lower on coated headers, so my thinking was after the intercooler, the air in the pipe might stay cooler if the coating prevents some of the underhood temps from heating the tube
    prob meaningless amount, but thats what i tell people when they ask why i didnt use alumn, lol

7. wazslow

Steel here, same reason, dont have a AC TIG to weld aluminum. Hell I went 8.33 @ 169 with PVC intercooler piping in the car, the steel has to be better than that! LOL

8. 10secgoal

I do SS or AL just for the inside of the tube rusting. The lbs saving is nice with AL also though.

9. wazslow

My steel is coated inside and out, I dont think i will have a problem with rust. The weight issue, well thats what that 101mm turbo is for! LOL

10. 10secgoal

Yeah, if your is coated, no worries. 8) That 106 will pretty much nulify and wieght savings. lol