1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

sway bar removal

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by dhudson8, Jul 31, 2006.

1. dhudson8

I have a 00 GT with a front mounted turbo kit on it now. I'm having slight issues with the hotside piping rubbing/hitting on the stock sway bar in the front. I was thinking about removing the sway bar and possibly replacing it with something solid to help keep the strength from side to side.
    My question is what kind of things will I notice by removing the front sway bar and would anyone HIGHLY suggest in not removing this, or is there anyway to fix this problem of the pipes hitting on it at all. Its actually hitting on the sway bar links, which hang just too low, but I see no way of mounting the links any higher.

2. mayer5oh

you COULD remove it altogether but it will create a lot of body roll on the front end and severely decrease handling.... but if you dont care about that it shouldnt matter

3. dhudson8

I understand it will decrease handling but what exactly do you mean in a "whole"??? will I lose the ability to drive daily on the road with normal cornering abilities or are you talking about more like losing handling in a street race sort or driving atmosphere like on a track (not drag track)

4. Bobby

You will have severe body roll even under a normal-going-around-a-corner situation. You can control it. But lets just say that changing lanes in an emergency situation will make you pee your pants. If its a street driven car, please, do whatever you can to keep it. Yes its heavy, and rubs, but perhaps try mounting it forward or backward slightly so that it clears your pipes. I have driven without one for a few years, but i will never do that again. I like an all around car, that can turn, as well as go like crazy in a straight line. So im not into the drag race scene. If you have intentions of driving this car on the street, the lord jesus christ wants you to keep your sway bar.

5. dhudson8

LOL when you put it that way. I'll do what I can to keep it in there, might take some tweaking, but we'll have to see what I can do

THANKS

6. mayer5oh

somebody im thinking maximum motorsports or something makes 1 inch drop mounts for them... moight help you out, not sure. i know somebody on here runs them.

but i mean... my last car was set up strictly to drive on the strip, but i drove it on the street every day. it didnt have a front or rear sway bar and had 90/10 shocks with some very soft c/o springs on the front..... i mean i wouldnt try goin 100mph around corners but i didnt see it being any less safe handling than my moms 01 jetta which handles like shit. a lot of cars dont even come with swaybars from the factory. youd be surprised

7. millrat86

IMO, if you want good weight transfer to the rear wheels, off the front sway bar. There is some extra body roll but not severe unless you are a twisty road driver.