1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Downpipe/Evac system/WBO2 question...

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Rickracer, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Rickracer

My down pipes exit through the fenders above/behind the front tires, and they are only 21" long from the turbo to the end on the driver's side, and 24" on the passenger side. I'm thinking of putting the evac nipples just past the 90°, coming out of the turbos, right where the pipe straightens out. Given that, where would be the best spot to put the bung for the wideband?? I plan to put it on the pass. side, mostly to keep the wiring short, (that's where my MSD 6530 is mounted inside), and because that D/P is the longest. Should it be before, or after the evac nipple? Or should I put the evac nipples closer to the ends of the D/Ps. [​IMG]#ad

2. Rickracer

I figured some pics might help with answers to my questions, so here they are:

Passenger side
    [​IMG]#ad

Passenger Side
    [​IMG]#ad

Driver's side
    [​IMG]#ad

Driver's side
    [​IMG]#ad

Overall pics
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

My tentative plan is to the the driver's side Evac nipple at the location of the sharpied arrow on that side, should work fine, the passenger side is what I'm wondering about, where the best location for the W/B bung would be, and then where to put the evac nipple.

3. Rickracer

WOW, 33 views and nobody has any suggestions? :confused:

4. Forcefed86

I don't see any real benefit to putting the exh. evac close to the turbo. I would keep the WB02 up stream of the evac and just move it as far down the piping as you can. Then run a heat sinc on the WB02 base. It does shorten the sensor life the hotter it gets. I've had friends put the WB02 right at after the turbo and had there sensors going for years. A new LSU bosch sensor is $60.

My daily driver has the WB02 about 12" down stream. with a heat sink like below. It's been this way for 4 years or so now. (I do run e85 though) IMO with 18-19"s you'll probably be fine I wouldn't sweat over it.

5. Rickracer

Sounds like a plan, nice to get some firsthand experience, much appreciated, I'm on E85 as well,:thumbsup:

6. 302f150

My wideband is probably 2-2.5 feet downstream because I am not running any heat sink and it happened to fit nicely there. It seems to work okay. DD for the past few years that way

I think it's recommended at least 16-18 inches downstream for turbos, but a heatsink apparently works so you could be closer. If I were you I'd put the wideband where your arrow is, and the evac nipple a couple inches down on the opposite side.

7. Rickracer

Both downpipes are done, I'll post some pics later. I have not made the heatsink yet, but I will soon, just wanna get this thing fired up. The cold side 90°s, 180°s, and couplers will be here tomorrow or Friday. :thumbsup: