1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Suitable turbo for ls2

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by wattos_ute, May 4, 2013.

1. wattos_ute

Hey guys I have no experience with any turbo cars so I am asking the question here as there are alot of knowledgable blokes on this forum.
    I have an ls2 in my HSV Maloo, which is a utility.It's manual and I have done exhaust and tune and it makes 335rwhp now.
    So basically I am not after huge numbers, I would be happy with 470-500rwhp.
    I have been looking at a twin turbo rear mount setup as I want the stealth look, as the laws over here in australia is shithouse. Haha

What size turbos would be suitable for this setup? Unsure what else I would have to do? I am sure a few guys on here have experience with what's needed to get this.
    Thanks in advance for any info given guys.

Cheers Watto

2. jridenour31

I wouldn't gobthrough the hassle of twins in a rearmount if that's really all the power you're looking for. A little mp70 would even make that power. The turbine is small but you're not really going to run into backpressure issues with 6psi.

3. wattos_ute

So a single rear mounted mpt70 would do the trick then? What sort of power could be expected from that setup normally?

4. jridenour31

You could definitely make that power with that turbo. It will run into backpressure issues pretty quickly, especially with a cam swap. If you want some room to grow, I'd go with something else. However, even a little p-trim 70 will make 500 to the wheels and come on like a light switch. Idk how far it would go beyond that on a 364 before the turbine became too big a restriction. A tc70-tc76 with a q-trim turbine would still come into boost very quickly and leave quite a bit of room to grow past 500. It just depends on your ultimate goals.

5. wattos_ute

This is my daily driver to and from work so at the most 540rwhp but that wouldn't be straight away as then I would be having to change alot more to accommodate that.
    So using the t70, would it spoil pretty quickly on the 364?
    Having not had much to do with turbo v8's what sort of issues would you say there would be in using a t70? Would it run out of go at higher rpm?
    Also I don't really plan on changing cams. Would that be an issue?

6. wattos_ute

Double post

7. jridenour31

Yeah, a 364 will spool a standard mp70 almost instantly. The problem is that the turbine is technically too small for that many cubes. It will work fine for 500hp with your setup but probably not much beyond that. You would be rpm limited due to backpressure, probably peaking around 5500. A cheapo gt45 would work well but the turbine is a tad large for a rearmount streetcar. A magnum performance q-trim t70 or a turbonetics tc70 is what I would go with. Easy to package, decently priced, will make the power you're after, and will spool well rearmounted with a t56. I only mentioned cams because swapping to a cam with more overlap just compounds the issue of backpressure with the small turbines.

8. wattos_ute

Cheers for the info mate really appreciate you explaining it for me. Something to start lookin at now. Just a lot o people say to go for something big that wont start making boost till high up in the rpm and as its a street driven daily driver I really want the turbo to be suited to make boost from the get go.

9. reef

a VS racing GT45 would be a great choice for an LS2...i would venture to say that a holset HX52 like i have would be great as well

10. slimbobaggins

Will it really run into backpressure issues that fast, given that theres virtually no exhaust behind it to create backpressure?

11. jridenour31

Yeah, it's still hitting a wall at the small turbine.

12. jridenour31

It would definitely work but that's a pretty big turbine considering he's rearmounted with a t56 and a stock cam.

13. reef

you have a point...wasnt really thinking about the distance from the motor.. kinda of tricky considering the wanted HP is fairly low..like mentioned above, a T70 would get it done easily but the exhaust side would have a ton of backpressure..as long as there is room, i still think an HX52 with the 16cm housing would be a good choice since diesel turbo trims are designed around cold slow exhaust velocity. thats why the larger exhaust sides that waould otherwise assume to be too large work well on gasoline engines..

14. xr8tt

I guess you mean like this 400 RWKW kit ?? GT30 turbo's..
    ;
    [​IMG]#ad

15. wattos_ute

Hey mate I did look at these but was thinkin more about the sts setups where they are right up the back not just behind the gearbox. Keep all the heat away from everything aswell.
    Cheers

16. jridenour31

Eh, backpressure wouldn't be too bad with a q-trim. He's only going to need 7 or 8 pounds to make the power he's after.