1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

440 Turbo help

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by Torkmnstr, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Torkmnstr

So guys, I am new to the forum and I am wanting to put a twin turbo setup on my 440 in my 69 roadrunner. I really dont know where to start with the setup and any help will be greatly appriciated! I want to get about 800 horse with conservitive boost, hence running the twins. I am going to put on a stroker kit as well making it about a 500cu in the end. Thanks guys, great site you have here. Here are some pics of my baby. :cheers:
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. rdakota340

Hang a couple of 76mm on it and hang on,But on a side note check out the build section see what people are useing for twins at what cubes and HP you can use the search botton it is your buddy,Welcome to the board!

3. Torkmnstr

Thanks man, I will do that. What kind of power do you think that would put out with 76mm?

4. Shaker223

I would not even bother with the stroker piece.

5. Torkmnstr

No stroker, why is that?

6. rdakota340

You be in with the HP goals on low boost but you will want more once get it going we all do LOL.

7. Shaker223

It will make way more power than you expect with 440 inches plus better to learn on something less exppensive.

8. leeperryracing

yeah, 440 cubes is a lot....twin 70mm with .96 a/r will have you feeling like you won the powerball :D Mopar stroker kits are not cheap(compared to SBC and SBF) especially if its forged. That money could go elsewhwere in the build.

9. Anthony Fury

X5. That picture of you doing a burnout? Imagine that happening at 40mph. On 8psi. With no intercooler. And a junkyard 400".

10. MEAN_SBC

Question.. I'm about to tackle the same build.. I've got the 440 out of my 68 Charger, and I'm really thinking of chucking a stroker crank in it, and making it 500 cubes.. Why not? As far as rotating assemblies go, they stroker kit, and the standard 440 kit are the same price, and I have yet to hear one person complain from having too much horsepower. Plus, nothing is cooler than telling someone you have a twin turbo 500CID big block under the hood... If it makes too much power, why not just turn down the boost??

11. Drlee50

i think the point to the original poster was that with the stock crank and small twins (70's) he could make his 800 hp goal. no need to waste $ when you dont need too. Spend the $ on suspension and trans and rear etc etc. For you, whats your power goal? maybe you need 500ci and an engine rebulid with a crank. he doesnt.

12. MEAN_SBC

I'd like around 8-900 at the wheels... What's the stock crank good to??? I don't even know what's in mine right now.. It's not apart yet.

I guess I've never built an engine with a stock crank, and I'm just so used to replacing it with a good 4340 aftermarket unit anyways..

13. Drlee50

all the magnum's are steel anyway- they are good to 900 no problem.

14. turbocoronet

I agree on the no need for 500" motor thing. I have one with a single 80mm turbo on it. It makes peak torque below 3000 rpm and peak hp at 4800. It will take very good heads and intake to flow on top end not to mention lots of turbo. The cubes eat up air flow big time. If I had to do it all over again it would be 440 or less cubes. At almost 900 lbs ft that low in the power band the convertor or tires tend to slip.
    Love your B body.......ok that didn't sound right!

15. rdakota340

What exact turbo are you running do you have a build thread?

16. turbocoronet

It's a 80mm 56 trim Innovative Turbo. The hot side is a R trim 1.32 a/r t4. The down pipe is a 3.5 " V-band. Yep, everything on the small side but makes for a very responsive ride.