1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Suggestions/Help specing a cam for boost, LS1 Fox

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by Atomic Adam, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Atomic Adam

Hey guys, I've just recently gotten on here because I'm building a LS1 Fox with boost. I'm trying to figure out what cam to go with. I know some of you on here could teach the cam pros lessons so I thought I would ask for suggestions.

91 Fox coupe
    2700lbs
    Stock Cube LS1
    3.27 gear
    28" tall tire
    3600 stall
    4l80 auto
    B/W s475 1.32 a/r
    Dont mind if its more on the aggressive side
    Street/strip car
    600hp goal (for now till I build the bottom end)

Any help would be greatly apprecitated

2. big dave

I would look into the LT4 or Hotcam's from GMPP - I had a friend with a thunderbird that had the Hotcam and it ripped!

Thounded thick too!!

3. TTFBDY

Guys are making 600 with the stock late model LS6 cam that has .550 lift. and 918 springs.

4. Atomic Adam

Thanks for the reply. I do know that those cams do work well. I was thinking about going the custom route and having something that will work for me but also have some room to go when I build the bottom end and crank the boost up.

5. Atomic Adam

Did it have a thpoiler too?

6. turbofreek

Thuper duper. You guyth are theriouthly hilariouth. Run the stocker and wait till you upgrade, cuz you may upgrade turbos and cubes by then

7. Atomic Adam

This is true, but I said screw it and ordered a cam from Cam Motion. Muhwaaa! We will see how it is. Bob and Denny over there are great, and helped out alot

8. big dave

Agreed. I went the simple route and used an LS6 cam I picked up stupid cheap. Later on I will go custom IF I need it. Cant go wrong with custom though, you definitely usually make more HP per pound of boost with the right cam.

9. Atomic Adam

Another question, I have already received my cam, and I'm very excited about it. The cam was specified for a Ls1 5.7l 10:1 compression auto car. Now if I decided to go with a LQ4 or LQ9 6.0l do you think it would change things for me on the cam that I already ordered?

Given the fact that there is not that much difference cubic inch wise, but compression will be .5 point lower, and the 317 heads flow a little better then the LS1 heads. Think it would hurt me at all?

Thanks

10. turbofreek

whats the spec on the cam?

and the cam does what it does regardless of the engine it is in. i would think its close in size should be fine to use for such low hp your after.

11. Atomic Adam

630 in 612 exh, 242/234, 116 degrees + 4 degrees advance

Also the low horsepower that I'm after is only temporary with this setup. I just want to get it in and running and save some pennies for pistons and rods then crank it up. 600hp is a safe mark to attain without popping the motor. The setup should make alot more then just 600. Hopefully 8)

12. Casey23

Thats a STOUT camshaft for a 600hp 5.7L ............. Alot of split..... Most everyone keeps it around 4 degrees.... I had a different idea and something a bit more mild.. but proven to be a very fast combo..... its under 238 and .598/598 lift