1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Suggested 'TERMS' for the Turbo Forums dictionary of local slang

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by Greywolf, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Greywolf

VOLUTIST: (noun) One who is unnaturally addicted to things resembling or having anything to do with scroll shapes, or multiplying horsepower by squares and cubes

VOLUTISH: (verb/adjective) Being essentially screwy in nature, or leading to high pressures that might make your head explode

VOLUTICAL: Possibly having a use in turbo's, but not necessarily defined

VOLUTISM: (colloquialism) A word or phrase that has a particular connection to turbocharging, and not very much else

VOLUTISTIC: (descriptive, or adjective) One who has an intolerant attitude as regards those not part of the "VOLUTIST" Community, or VOLUTE Society as a whole (SEE ALSO: Turbo-Centric)
    (ALT) One who "puffs oneself up"...

VOLUTE CENTRIC: One who cannot conceive of an automobile without a turbocharger

VOLUTOID: Basically damned screwy!!!

Please add on to this list, as ideas come to you

~Dutch

* PS: I live in Tennessee. "GO VOLS" has nothing to do with it...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  2. Drac0nic

3. Greywolf

VOLUTALIST: One who is never satisfied with normal results

CATASTROPHIC DISASSEMBLY: Results of bad math

TERMINAL CORRUPTION: Results of oil carbonizing in a bearing cartridge

HYPER-TECHNICAL: "I can post a link, but I don't get it either..."

SUBJECTED TO THOROUGH CARBONIZATION: The previous owner FRIED it

OUT of WARRANTEE: You opened the box :cool:

~ This is looking like a classic so far

How many more can you think of? This is an odd community with it's own language...

(Pardon me, that's an old song that I like a lot)

~ to my odd way of thinking what that man played was turbocharged at the time

Now you have a clue how far back I come from...

NOS: The aftermarkets invitation to blow up an engine that was not built for it

SUPERCHARGER: How to add fifty extra non-versatile pounds to an engine that creates more problems

But those last are ordinary words

***the sound of a heavy door opening***

Okay, it's ALL YOURS!!!
    ~GO for it... :thumbsup:

The effects of a turb seem to call for a lot of deep engine stroke understanding, and that leads to uncommon terminology. The POWER added by the turb should come on at a crank angle where it is best used - about plus and minus thirty on a right angle to top dead center (?) I think...

And that is where the rabbit hole begins

In turn it means understanding EFI and ECU's. Both fuel and ignition in the modern era
    ~Those add two new languages

You would almost have to be a hacker born after 2005 to really get into engine management at the ECM level

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018