1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Power glide in a 92??

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by ijustgotblown, May 2, 2009.

1. ijustgotblown

i'm looking to find out what drive shaft you would need or have to make or buy when putting a power glide in 92... also i know you have to make a cross member too but does anyone sell them or have them to just buy or specs to make? would i benefit from putting a PG in the car over the c4 i have now? thanks

2. domn8rx

IMO the glide will out live the c4 by far and the driveshaft has to be longer. Spend the money on a glide then do the same for the shaft.

You can use the stock crossmember, slide the mount forward on the "tubes" and i used a stock GM trans mount with two new holes in the ford crossmember. Use 1" spacers between the trans and the mount to make it all work.

john

3. crawlinturbonotch

http://www.ajeracing.com/mustang.php $159.00 for a nice crossmember. Thats what I have. Also I had a driveshaft made from a local driveshaft shop who made me a driveshaft thats all 1350 parts and bolts directly to my 8.8 Cost me $350

4. ijustgotblown

thanks....would the pg make the car faster in the 1/4 over the c4 now? and how are they for street driving?

5. ijustgotblown

6. crawlinturbonotch

There is really no text book answer if the car "will" go faster. There are a lot of variables. I've personally seen a buddies nitrous car go a ton faster with a glide over his th400. With the th400 the car was very violant of the line, the p/g fixed that. I swithed from a c-4 to a p/g because the car was begining to get violant. With the p/g it is more consistant and is not very violant at all (for a 9.50 car). Its like driving Miss Daisey..

7. crawlinturbonotch

Also I have an aftermarket k-member so I dont know about having a stock k-member. But it bolts straight in with a tubular k-member..

8. ijustgotblown

what do i need to swap from my c4 to a pg?? i thought it was a simple thing but the more i read up on it people have problems.... i need a new shifter, converter, trans, dip, cross member, yoke and drive shaft.... and thats all right?? can i use my same fle plate? what do you do for speedo cable set up and i dont have to bang anything to make room do i? i want to switch but not if it is going to be a head ace....

9. BDC

Flywheel!

10. domn8rx

crank bushing

11. crawlinturbonotch

"The wheel" by JW for a flywheel and they also sell a piece that goes off the back of the crank to the snout of the converter if its an all chevy converter. Or you can have a conveter made thats ford on the front and chevy out back. I bought an all chevy converter from PTC and I use the crank bushing. You also need a bellhousing http://www.campbellenterprises.com/...ance-transmissions/ultra-bell-bellhousing.htm (chevy to ford)

12. crawlinturbonotch

Summary: shifter,converter, converter bushing,trans, bellhousing, trans x-member & driveshaft.

13. ijustgotblown

can it be used with a stock K member? in the nmra link i posted guys said they has to move the motor back 1" on the after market K members to get the aje cross member to fit.....

14. ijustgotblown

Do you have the Part # on the jw "the wheel" flex plate i need?? has to be 28oz and also does it come with the bushing for the converter? thanks

15. crawlinturbonotch

Call JW, I dont know the part #. They are good with that shit and will know how to set u up. Also the crank bushing doesnt come with the flywheel. I got my crank bushing from Sloan racing transmissions but JW might carry them also..

16. ijustgotblown

thanks....