1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Bank 2 Fouled Plugs

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Brickerz, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Brickerz

Hey guys,

I've run into an issue where my car is fouling bank 2 (passenger side) plugs. It's strange because it's fouling all 4 plugs at once.

Setup:
    MS1 v2.2 w/ MS Extra firmware. Running TPS, CTS and MAP sensor.
    MSD 6010 (I think I'm sitting at like 28 degrees timing at idle)
    80lb Siemen's Deka injectors
    AEM 320lph Pump
    GT45 turbo setup
    TH400 w/ 3200 stall

The vacuum gauge is fluctuating slightly and looks symptomatic of an ignition problem.. Which makes sense because it's fouling all 4 plugs on bank 2. Bank 1, all the plugs look perfectly fine. I've already looked over my setup for exhaust leaks/gasket leaks. In fact, I went out tonight and bought a fog machine and hooked it up to check, hah. I've also checked that all connectors are plugged in tightly. It definitely sounds like it's not firing on all 8 cylinders, but it'll idle somewhat "Ok". Idle is only hunting around 150-200rpm. It only really sounds hurt when you rev it.

2. Chuck L

What does the data logging look like?
    Post the tune file.

3. Matt Cramer

Do you have the MS1's injector outputs wired up separately on each bank?

4. Brickerz

I'll try to grab a log tonight of a cold start until it's up to temp.

I have bank 1 and 2 MS wires going to each bank, respectively (two blue, and two green I think?). From there, I have the injectors all wired into one lead that goes into the MS bank wiring (All grounds wired together, and all 12v wired together for each bank). I also have a 5amp fused 12v power wire that runs out to each bank of cylinders. I can try to draw a diagram in paint if that would help. I mean, what's wrong with using pain at work? haha

5. Brickerz

Ok, I've looked at some things since I got home from work. Since I had no idea how to read plugs properly, I looked that up. The four passenger side plugs are all carbon fouled. Dry, black, sooty all around the end of the plug. I also got my wideband wired up to the MS1 box and then started it up. Tomorrow I'll pull the plugs and clean them up, then try to start it up and let auto tune do it's magic to get it to idle where it wants to.

6. Chuck L

I doubt autotune is going to correct the problem. IMO, the issue is 1 or both: No/intermittent spark. Fueling control is whacked on those cyls.
    When you pull the plugs, do a comp and leak down.
    What did the smoke test show?
    Find the problem, B4 you waste time on auto tune and cleaning plugs.
    Post the log. I'll bet Matt will come w/ the solution!:cool:

7. Brickerz

The smoke machine test looked normal. I didn't see any leaking from gaskets/lines/couplers or anything like that. I'll pull, clean the plugs and test each coil tonight for spark to make sure they all look good. I'll also get some logs tonight, since I got the wideband wired into MS now :encouragement: From there I can do a compression and leak down test.

The reason I mentioned the auto-tune was because I was messing around with it last night after I got the wideband hooked up. Turns out my tun was EXTREMELY lean. I let auto-tune do it's thing for 5min at idle and it brought it down to a nice 14.4-14.7 and was idling great. It was running/sounding better than it ever has, except it still sounded like I was down a cyl or two when giving it gas. I did this before cleaning up the fouled plugs. Tonight I'll be sure to clean and do more trouble shooting. I'm trying to be patient with testing, ahah. I'm very excited to drive the car now that all the components are together!

8. Chuck L

Good luck! Sounds like progress is being made!:encouragement:

9. Brickerz

Morning update:

Pulled bank 2 plugs last evening and cleaned them up. I check all the ignition coils and found that cyl 2 coil was dead. Replaced the coil and started it up. It does now sound like it's on all 8 cylinders. Took it out for a quick spin and it's not making any power. Made 5lb of boost but it feels like a dog. Upon closer inspection, I do in fact have some merge pipe exhaust leaks. That would explain the really slow spool and only 5psi. I'll go grab some more welding gas this week and get that fixed. After that, I'll try to get a log that has meaningful data, haha. Thanks for the help so far!

10. peterlocal22

any data logs?

11. Brickerz

I'll be able to get some logs here this week. I'll be uploading a new video of the car that I took today in my build thread tomorrow morning - https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/368443-87-Mustang-5-3-Turbo-(Budget-Style)

I did end up finding some holes in my merge pipe which is took off, sealed up and smoked. I welded all the holes shut and put it back on. I also went out and bought pieces to make a pressure tester and found some boost leaks in my intercooler piping, which I fixed. The smoke didn't find those holes, but the 15psi pressure test sure did, haha. Tonight I pulled the plugs which were fouled, cleaned them, started the car and ran the warmup wizard. After getting up to temp I shut it down and pulled the plugs again, which now are a nice tan color. I'll get some logs of it and monitor if it ends up fouling them sometime this week after work. I think it may be related to my timing curve, and it sounds like it starts to miss under load (I'm assuming that's when it's fouling the plugs). I need to learn how to use this MSD6010 box and read up on how to tune your timing curve.

I'll post up again in a couple days!