1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Street Outlaws on Discovery?? Streetracing?!

Discussion in 'Racing Scene' started by TDmkr496, Jun 10, 2013.

1. TDmkr496

New TV show on Discovery that shows guys street racing in Oklahoma, looked like there were some bad ass rides on it!

2. stangman9897

Just looked a new one is on in 30 mins, will check it out.

3. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Got mixed feelings about the show. Like watching the cars race, but ain't really keen on promoting it on the streets. It's not that I'm against it per se. It's more an issue of who ends up watching it. As a cop once told me (no, I was not in trouble, lol) it's usually not the experienced guys who are a problem. It's douchebags who end up killing or injuring people because they don't know how to keep the testosterone in check, and race when/where it's not appropriate/safe. One thing I don't understand.... guys on this show spend all that money getting ready, betting all that money.... and they are too cheap to pay to use a track? :dontknow:

All that aside, Flip ( (Tyler Priddy ) from the show passed before the premiere due to suicide. :(

4. Disney Lincoln

Yeah, Flip is the Pimp Juice guy. I heard he passed away.

I watched it last night. I liked the show. I used to be hard core into street racing. We had a similar hierarchy in this area. It was a pretty tight knit group and we had some mean ass street cars. It all turned to shit after the F&F movies came out and all the ricers started invading our hangout. We tried to run them off, but they kept multiplying. They eventually (as Ken eluded to) brought D-Baggery and the subsequent cops to the hangout and effectively shut us down. Still pisses me off to this day....

5. spray280

I watched it last night and I hate how "reality" tv shows focus more on drama than the show being produced. Yes I will watch it again because it's cars and I love cars! The most annoying thing now
    will be the people that have no clue about cars walk up to you and say "You must be one of those street outlaws!". I've worked at my parents pawn shop for 8 years and would rather be punched in the face
    than have to hear "Where's chum-lee at today?".

6. TTF/Ken Staff Member

^^^
    Kind of like the show Overhaulin, I was more interested in watching the build than the drama around how they fooled the owner for a week. Hope the show does well, and they get the wrinkles ironed out and concentrate more on the machines. :thumbsup:

7. gotageta5oh

Damn. I was wondering why that name sounded familiar.

8. TDmkr496

I used to street race like this too until they started confiscating your car! That stuff is no joke down here. The "wrong wheel drive" ricers caused most of the trouble. I almost pissed myself when I saw that farm truck, I had seen it on youtube before, but I didn't know thats where he was from. I agree that it will be good "TV" but its going to influence the younger crowd in the wrong way. I wonder what this show is going to do to that area, cops must be all over it now. Its almost like those guys are throwing up the middle finger to the cops by putting this on TV....lol

9. 32V

Racing belongs at a track and not the streets. Like some have posted its not always the racers that get the shit end of the deal with street racing, its the others on the road. Being a medic I have seen first hand what happens when the testosterone takes over. Its not fun. I have picked up legs, put them in a bag, and set them on the stretcher to send to the hospital in hopes it can be reattached.

I know others here will disagree with what I have to say. No one ever thinks they will get fucked up street racing, but it does happen. Sorry to be a buzz kill but shows like this usually just add to the problem...

my .02

10. stangman9897

But it keeps you in a job. :grin:

11. 32V

^^^
    very true...

12. PEARL MUSSIN

Love the show.. Still not sure if most of it is staged though. How could they be doing this on TV and not get in trouble. Love the fast cars, seems like most of them are nitrous big block guys. At least these guys are smart about street racing middle of nowhere, middle of the night.

Jeremy

13. blonby

I like the show as well and believe if we had to try and control everything in this world out of fear of others trying things then where would that leave us. I have several hot rods and have spent some time on the street and agree that the track is where you should be however when crossing the street the crosswalk is where you should be too.
    My hope is that people just be smart about things because we all know what happens if your not.
    As far as for thier cars being the fastest ever hmmm I dont know about that I live in Oregon and we have some fast cars but I can tell you the fellows on the east coast are no joke either I have seen some of those street cars lol. at any rate less drama and more about the cars and just take the show for what its worth.
    PS never been to a street race where thier were enclosed trailers parked on the side of the road.... You got a ride then drive it to the scene lol

14. UFO

On this side of the pond, this stuff is taken seriously. Most organizers/crews keep it on the freeways or in industrial parks, pretty much always at night.
    Consequently accidents during the actual RACES are fairly rare.
    Accidents involving the fucktards that insist on driving like idiots to watch them, on the other hand...
    Not to mention the chicken shits who pose by their cars during the actual racing and then wring out their junk on the parking lot in the middle of a crowd while leaving.

In regards to the track aspect... I'll quote a colleague of mine, an avid football fan talking about hooligans... If you made it legal, most of these guys would quit right away. The bad boy image is half the package...

(if you're curious as to the level of the cars running over here, youtube 'birka cup' or 'stockholm open')
    Let's see when Discovery sees fit to air Street outlaws in europe. Good for a laugh/groan, if nothing else!

15. Turbo-Box

I have yet to see the show, but I think I might have to check it out.

I used to go to the street races a lot when I lived in Phoenix. The one time I actually raced (at night, in the middle of nowhere) I got busted. That cost me my AZ driver's license and was a major wakeup call. I still go check the very limited street racing that takes place around here from time to time but not very often.

One of the best times I've ever had at the track was when they ran a Midnight Madness event at 131. That was street racing taken to the track. Most of the thrill of street racing (and some of the stupidity) in a safe, controlled environment.

16. MONTEGOD7SS

They do arm drop races at the local 1/8s here on unprepped tracks. Basically it's street racing, with a concession stand.

17. Rickracer

I watched it last night....it sure is easier to get a race around there than it used to be around here when I was street racing, :grin: :grin:
    You can only outrun the same 10 or 15 people so many times before you get to be the "Maytag repairman", or have to travel out of town to find races, :coolio:

18. WarFords

Loved the cars on the show! Can't wait to see the next one.

19. PrecisionTurboMustang

Street racing was all we did for several years. When the cops started following us aroun with helicopters, we got tired of the bs. As we grew up the cars got faster and it started not being fun anymore.

20. MONTEGOD7SS

Our street racing never was organized. Everyone meets up at the local hangout, a race gets worked out, then two cars plus one extra person per car go race on a back road with no spectators.