1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Strawberry milkshake in trans

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Red98422, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Red98422

Pretty sure it means it’s cooked, or will be soon.

was supposedly a rebuilt unit, but a failed kickdown plug (th350) revealed that it has pink milkshake for fluid. How bad off is it? Rebuild time or upgrade time?

2. Disney Lincoln

No way we could know. Only thing you can do is try to drain every ounce of fluid and water out of it. Might even try to get some heat into it for an extended period of time. No like 400*, but enough to evaporate the water. Think a 100W bulb under the pan for a few days.

Red98422 likes this.
  3. Red98422

sounds good, just figured with it being emulsified it might be too late.

I can try to drain as much as possible, I have to pull it anyways as it is SUPER tight in the tunnel and there isn’t any other way to put the kickdown plug in.

I have a th400 but that walks into a whole new level of tunnel mods and a host of other changes that would be needed

4. tbird

I had my car sitting in storage for a few years with the trans in it , no engine or converter.
    Put it all back together, drove it a few times. Went out to race it one night, all sudden started slippping with converter whine.
    Towed home, check fluid. strawberry.
    Pulled the pan , was obvious is had water in it from moisture where it had sat cuz the pan had a rusted area.
    Also buddy said the shop had a lot of moister in the spring.
    So talked with transmission buddy. He suggested pull the cooler outlet line and run it while added fresh fluid until it came out good.
    Did that and ran it for a couple few years after that until I killed some clutches with too much power.

Red98422 likes this.
  5. Red98422

Well that’s an idea right there!!

never thought about that, thanks for the heads up!

6. B E N

Will depend on how long the water has been in there and who made the parts. I had an FMX that I rebuilt for my jeep, got water in it, thought it wouldn't be a big deal. Turned out the adhesive used in the clutch packs was dissolvable in water. Instant nightmare. Get all the water out asap.

7. Red98422

Damn that really is a worse case scenario!

I’m dropping the pan today after work. I might even be able to drop the whole thing and get to work on it. It depends on time, as I have to use my work area so it needs to be clean at the end of any after hours work.

B E N likes this.