1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Running two Weber carbs from a Maserati Biturbo in a single plenum

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by Car32, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Car32

By way of introduction to this forum ...

...I am building a turbo'ed Ford 300 i6 engine and I have a dual-carb intake manifold for it. I also have two e-bay Weber carbs that originally came from two Maserati Biturbos. The carbs were set up from the OEM to sit completely enclosed inside a pressurized plenum.

I figured that since I'm basically using twice the engine that the Maserati was running (4.9 l versus 2.5 l), I should have about the right carburetion using two carbs.

So, if I build a pressurized plenum, put the two carbs inside and throw boost at it, I should have a fighting chance at making it all work, wouldn't you say?

I'm thinking that I may need to tune the carbs but that they should be already prepared to run under boost. There is a vacuum/pressure line that runs from each carb to a point on the intake manifold downstream from the throttle, so I'll make sure to connect mine the same way.

Does my plan make sense? Anything that I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance.

2. KnowledgeHungry

:corn: Gotta love webers. Side draft? How much u pick them up for? I've played with the idea of buying 4 of them for a 302 sbc build. But fabbing an intake is out of my skill level.

3. Car32

I have a follow-up question if you have a minute:

In Corky Bell's turbocharging book, he recommends a plenum volume of 110%-120% of engine volume. The way I had to build my plenum, it's more like 350% of engine volume. Is it worth putting some filler inside the plenum to reduce its volume? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance.