1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

straight meth before the bov?

Discussion in 'Carbination Lounge' started by sheldonw, Aug 3, 2011.

1. sheldonw

so im gonna spray straight meth to richen my mixture but im a little leary...

i have a three nozzle ais kit and one nozzle is in the bellmouth with a no 10 nozzle and two no 3 nozzles before the hat... im just worried about a fire with the nozzle before the blower as its a side slinger right above the header even tho it has a air filter clamped on the bellmouthe and when the bov dumps air....

is anybody doing this or am i completely retarded??

2. bluchev

sounds like a disaster waiting to happen

3. wgsr-1

Perfectly fine, and common. Alot of blown, LS guys run a speed density setup and put a nozzle in front of the blower. I run a 5 before the blower and a 10 before the throttle body on my corvette. Do it.

4. BlueMonte

Sounds like there is going to be a fire ball when you lift.

Lets see, you have a finely atomized air/fuel mixture being released under pressure, you have a really hot ignition source to light it off (headers), and then you have all sorts of stuff that will sustain the fire after the intial fireball lights its off.

Sounds like a great idea

5. wantabe

i wouldnt do it

6. blown385

Not to mention your relying on this system to add needed fuel to your tune . If the carb isnt giving you the fuel you need , fix the carb . If the Meth fails , your motor might be toast . Most guys running carbs are using these systems for cooling and to stop detonation , and use more water than meth .

7. sheldonw

Thanks blown385!!

I didn't end up running it straight.

it was detonation making it read lean i pulled .5 to start and the plugs and a/f looked better so i end up pulling .7* per bringing me back to about 17* total, it kept picking up the more i pulled. The af was 11.0 on my aem wideband and the plugs looked the best they ever have. Then i pulled two jet sizes out of the rear down to 94's bringing it to 11.4 and it slowed down from 136 to 133 so im gonna go back up at least two sizes this weekend and see what it does. Im thinking with no i/c it likes to be pretty rich.... i'll leave the 50/50 for now...

I also put a solinoid with a hobbs switch to come on just before 10psi for my map sensor to try to help my 60'. I think i could really benifit from a 7531 or a 6530 box.

Thanks again everybody

8. blown385

Thats cool , we thought that timing might be a tad high . :D

What did you put the hobbs on ? Water/meth or when it pulls timing ?

9. sheldonw

i put the hobbs on the map to delay the ignition box from pulling timing untill 10psi....it helped a lot! i just got my best pass ever this weekend!

my old best was a 6.36 at 111 with a 1.42 60'
    my best this year was 6.50 at 112 with a 1.48 60'

and my best this weekend was a 6.145 at 116.78 with a 1.38 60'
    i also ran about 6 passes in a row between 113 and 115 mph. All with major traction problems down the whole track

a lot of the improvement came from advise from u guys so thanks a ton!

10. blown385

Nice job man . :chacha: